Monday, April 03, 2006

News?

I am about sick and damn tired of getting "news" that really doesn't tell me anything. This morning I was looking at the Fort Worth Star-Telegram website and found this little tidbit:

40,982 bankruptcies were filed in 2005 in the Northern District of Texas, which encompasses 100 counties stretching from the panhandle to North Central Texas, including Dallas and Tarrant.

Now, 40,000+ bankruptcies is a number which certainly catches the eye! Should I be concerned? Or should I be relieved? It would have been nice if, say, they told me if it was an increase or decrease from the previous year!

I attempted to put my shoddy investigative skills to work, but I ended up in Google bankruptcy hell. I found plenty of forms and bankruptcy lawyers, but none of the statistics which could help me determine if we are above or below our yearly average. I did, however, find a site that told me that Texas had one of the lowest bankruptcy rates in the country in 2003, but it didn't tell me how many were filed that year.

Now, I know the media of today hate to give us real news, but why bother to print something if you aren't going to explain what in the hell in means?!

No comments:

Post a Comment

ANONYMOUS COMMENTS WILL NOT BE PUBLISHED. And neither will racist,homophobic, or misogynistic comments. I do not mind if you disagree, but make your case in a decent manner.