Wednesday, May 03, 2006

A Competent Republican

If you've read this blog much at all, you will have picked up on the fact that I have little or no love for republicans. Often, I have taken them to task for their ridiculous ideas and actions. I am a proud member of the American left-wing. However, I consider myself to be an honest person, and therefore must admit it when I find a competent republican doing a good job.

I have found that competent republican official. He is Tarrant County Sheriff Dee Anderson. Before Sheriff Anderson took office, the Tarrant County Jail was a mess. The prior two sheriffs were not only republicans, but right-wing fundamentalists. Both seemed to think religion was more important than professional law enforcement standards. The jail commissary was a mess and the jail food was awful. The morale of officers also seemed to be very low. Neither of the prior sheriffs could get along with the Tarrant County Commissioners Court [which controls funding for the department].

Since Sheriff Anderson was elected, much has improved. The commissary situation was straightened out and jail food has improved considerably. Officer morale has also improved significantly. Because of my job, I'm in and out of the jail several times a week. It is obvious to me that the department and the jail are now being run in a competent and professional manner.

Sheriff Anderson has also established a very good working relationship with the Tarrant County Commissioners. The only disagreement they had was where to put a new jail. To his credit, Sheriff Anderson avoided playing politics and simply explained how putting the jail downtown meant better security and protection for his officers and for the public. Once the security situation was explained to them, the commissioners agreed.

Republican though he is, Sheriff Dee Anderson has done a competent and professional job. Thank you, Sheriff Anderson.

No comments:

Post a Comment

ANONYMOUS COMMENTS WILL NOT BE PUBLISHED. And neither will racist,homophobic, or misogynistic comments. I do not mind if you disagree, but make your case in a decent manner.