Monday, May 01, 2006

There must be a better way

For the life of me, I simply cannot understand why someone would voluntarily imprison themselves! Not only that, but to claim it as a good idea as well! Personally, I like freedom to move around, but maybe I'm part of a dying breed.

I'm talking about the erection of walls (or in some cases fences) along borders in order to keep "bad people" out. It is a very popular idea among Israelis and is becoming so here in America as well. Some people actually believe that people will give up and go back home if they run into a wall. Ha! If only it were that easy!

Walls will do absolutely nothing to keep unwanted people out of any particular area. Someone who really wants to get past a wall will. Simple as that. We humans are a creative bunch. If we can't go over, under, or through, we will find a way to go around.

And really, is there anything more offensive to the eyes than a big wall blocking what could potentially be a beautiful view? I grew up on the plains in north Texas. Unless it's a foggy day, you can see at least twenty miles in any direction. At night, you could see lights from towns over fifty miles away. I could stare forever at the oceans of white that cotton season provided. I can't imagine how disappointed I would be if those wonderful views were obstructed by a useless wall. The feeling of freedom the plains had to offer would be replaced by a feeling of imprisonment. Not exactly my idea of a good trade.

When I look across the Rio Grande, I want to see Mexico. Even better, if I'm fishing from the Texas side, I'd like to see someone fishing from the Mexican side. There's something comforting in the knowledge that we're all in the same boat even though we may be waving different flags. To me, it promotes a sense of world community.

If a wall was effective as a barrier in any way, shape or form, then I might reluctantly consider it. But I know better than that. I suggest we think of a better way to spend our tax dollars. I suggest we find a way that could actually work.

No comments:

Post a Comment

ANONYMOUS COMMENTS WILL NOT BE PUBLISHED. And neither will racist,homophobic, or misogynistic comments. I do not mind if you disagree, but make your case in a decent manner.