Monday, June 19, 2006

Texas Rep Lon Burnam Details Session Failures

My favorite member of the Texas Legislature, Lon Burnam, the representative from District 90 in Fort Worth, published his views yesterday on the recently completed special session of the legislature. This was done in a guest editorial in the Fort Worth Star-Telegram.

Lon talks about how the session didn't really solve the school funding crises. In fact, the tax cuts passed combined with the new taxes passed will leave Texas with a $5 billion shortfall. I don't know about ya'll, but this sounds like a lot of money to me.

Also, no new money was allocated for the schools, so the pressure will still be on to raise local taxes. It won't be long before Texas is back in court and calling another session to deal with this issue. All the republicans did was to cut taxes for their rich corporate buddies.

But click on the Star-Telegram tag above and read it for yourself. Lon is a much better writer than I am. Damn, I wish this guy was my representative!

No comments:

Post a Comment

ANONYMOUS COMMENTS WILL NOT BE PUBLISHED. And neither will racist,homophobic, or misogynistic comments. I do not mind if you disagree, but make your case in a decent manner.