Tuesday, July 18, 2006

Evil musicians at it again

I wonder if the MSM thinks I'm the dumbest bitch in the world when I read stuff like this. It seems that two gangs, who were under a truce, started shooting at each other after a rap song told them to flash their hand signs.

Give me a fucking break.

I'm reminded of those who blamed Marilyn Manson for Columbine. Hell, it wasn't that long ago that Ozzy was blamed for a suicide. Or was that Metallica? Of course rap and metal are Satan's music, or so I've been told, which makes any musicians who fit under those descriptions open to such blame. On the other hand, I've heard a good number of country songs talk about lost love. I have yet to hear anyone accuse any country musicians of raising the divorce rate. Not that I think they are responsible for that, but I want to know why only certain kinds of music get treated this way.

I have an idea. Let's try blaming those who are actually responsible for the crimes! If we simply cannot do without knowing the motive, maybe we could ask them. If that doesn't work, let's take a look at their surroundings. Did they come from a poor neighborhood? What is the extent of their education? What is the minimum wage of their area? What is the unemployment rate? What access did they have to good, caring adults and other peers? I believe that undesirable answers to these questions can drive more people to crime than a measly little song.

Simply put, if you want to blame someone else with the criminal, blame society as a whole, not just some musician that suits your fancy at the moment. Blaming music and television are simply the easy way out. We need to look at the conditions that breed gang activity, some of which I have listed above. If we work on these, we might find ourselves in a position of enjoying entertainment instead of bashing it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

ANONYMOUS COMMENTS WILL NOT BE PUBLISHED. And neither will racist,homophobic, or misogynistic comments. I do not mind if you disagree, but make your case in a decent manner.