I guess I'm going to have to start reading the labels on food products. I have just always assumed that guacamole dip was composed mostly of avocados. I was wrong!
It seems that only 2% of Kraft guacamole dip is avocado. The other 98% is a paste made from partially hydrogenated soybean and coconut oils, corn syrup, whey and food starch. It gets its green color from yellow and blue food dyes.
Brenda Lifsey, from Los Angeles, said she made a three-layer dip with Kraft guacamole dip as one of the ingredients. She said, "It just didn't taste avocadoey. I looked at the ingredients and found there was almost no avocado in it." Lifsey has filed suit asking Kraft to stop marketing the dip as guacamole, and she hopes to turn the lawsuit into a class-action suit.
Of course, Kraft is acting like they've done nothing wrong. Claire Regan, vice-president of Kraft Foods corporate affairs division, said, "We think customer's understand that it isn't made from avocado. All of the ingredients are listed on the label for consumers to reference." However, she said the company was going to change the label to say "guacamole-flavored dip" instead of "guacamole dip".
I think the new label is probably also misleading. It might lead consumers to think the product actually tastes like guacamole.
There is already a law saying peanut butter must be 90% peanuts. Are we going to have to do the same with guacamole and avocados?