Thursday, November 09, 2006

A Little Civility Goes A Long Way

On the day after the election, I received a comment to one of my posts from an anonymous person. As you may know if you have looked at our blog header, we do not accept anonymous comments. But this comment was a really good one, so while it didn't make it into the comment section [rules are rules], I have decided to post about it. Here is the comment:

"As a Republican, I have to congratulate the Democrats on a great election for themselves. I am disappointed, but optimistic. People wanted a change and got it. Good job guys! Texas is a Republican state. There are some Republicans who need to get ousted so they will get back to their conservative values....I want Republicans to take back every seat next election. But I am not opposed to the people sending a message. Enjoy your victory. Good luck with your message. I really mean that. Good luck! You deserve your victory."

While I am not a Democrat, I do support most of the Democratic candidates and agenda, so I really appreciated this message. The sad part is that I was surprised to get it. The ultra-right of the Republican party led by people such as Tom DeLay, have made our politics into "good people versus bad people". They want us to think that if we don't agree with them, then we're not patriotic and don't have decent values.

The comment quoted above is kind of a throwback to a more civil time. A time when Republicans and Democrats could fight tooth-and-nail for their beliefs, but still be friends when the politics are over.

I have met many of the DeLay Republicans living in northeast Tarrant County, who think I'm un-American because I'm a progressive. But I also have many Republican friends. We disagree totally on politics, but still like and respect each other and enjoy our time together. That is the way it's supposed to be.

Both Republicans and Democrats love their country. Both are patriotic. Both support the troops, regardless of their position on the war. The idea that Americans should be enemies with other Americans because of their political views is ludicrous. We should fight hard for our beliefs, but those whose disagree with us are not our enemies. They are simply Americans who have a different vision.

I thank the Republican who sent in the comment and I appreciate the feelings he/she expressed. In the spirit of non-partisanship, I congratulate Texas Republicans on their huge statewide victory on election day. You worked hard and deserve your win. In two years, I will work hard to see that it doesn't happen again, but you are not my enemy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

ANONYMOUS COMMENTS WILL NOT BE PUBLISHED. And neither will racist,homophobic, or misogynistic comments. I do not mind if you disagree, but make your case in a decent manner.