Monday, November 06, 2006

Perry Slams Non-Christians Right Before Election

I guess Rick Perry has decided that he only needs his base of fundamentalist christians to win this election. How else would you explain Perry's politically stupid remark dooming all non-christians?

Yesterday, Perry attended the fundamentalist Cornerstone Church in San Antonio with about 60 other right-wing candidates, so the Reverend John Hagee could introduce them to his congregation [note to the I.R.S. -- you might want to look into this].

After the service, Perry said he agreed with Rev. Hagee that all non-christians would go to hell. He said, "In my faith, that's what it says, and I'm a believer of that."

But it didn't take Perry long to realize he had made a political mistake. Just a few miles down the road, he began to backpedal just a bit. He said, "I don't know that there's any human being that has the ability to interpret what God and his final decision-making is going to be. That's what the faith says. I understand, and my caveat there is that an all-knowing God certainly transcends my personal ability to make that judgement black and white. Before we get into Buddha and all the others, I get a little confused there. But the fact is we live in a pluralistic world but our faith is real personal. And my Christian faith teaches that the way is through Jesus Christ."

Of course, all the other candidates for governor were quick to give their opinions on Perry's mis-statement. This is what they had to say:

KINKY FRIEDMAN
"He doesn't think very differently from the Taliban, does he? Being obsessed with who's going to heaven and who's going to hell is kind of a pathetic waste of time."

CHRIS BELL
"God is the only one who can make the decision as to who gets into the kingdom of heaven. I'm a Christian. Rick Perry certainly is entitled to his beliefs, but when you're in public office, you need to respect people of all faiths and denominations."

CAROLE STRAYHORN
"There are many ways to heaven. We're all sinners, and we're all God's children. God's a uniter."

No comments:

Post a Comment

ANONYMOUS COMMENTS WILL NOT BE PUBLISHED. And neither will racist,homophobic, or misogynistic comments. I do not mind if you disagree, but make your case in a decent manner.