Thursday, January 11, 2007

The Use Of The Word "Criminal"

I apologize for not posting for the last three days, but my work required me to be out of town for the past three days and I had no access to a computer. I'm afraid posting will be spotty at best for the next few days also. My family and I are in the process of moving to a new city. As soon as we can get established in our new home, regular posting will resume and I will again subject you all to my daily rants.

While I was out of town, I was watching Fox News one evening. No, I have not gone over to the dark side. It was in a hotel resturant, and I had no control over the television.

The right-wing talking heads on Fox were doing a story on undocumented immigrants in our country, and they kept using the term "criminals" to refer to these people. Each time I heard the word used in this context, I became angrier and more offended.

I have worked in various aspects of law enforcement for over twenty years now. I deal with real criminals in my work every day -- people who have earned the title of criminal by their actions. I feel like I have a bit of expertise in this field.

A criminal is a person who has been convicted of a crime against persons or property, or who has violated an oath to uphold our Constitution. Criminals run the gamut from child molesters to wife-beaters, from rapists to murderers, from burglars to company executives stealing from investors and employees, from con men to crooked politicians.

But a poor man who crosses an invisible line created by politicians to get a job to feed, clothe and shelter his family, is NOT a criminal. I submit if the U.S. was a poor country and Mexico a rich country, many of us would be crossing the border in order to feed our families. I know I would if it meant the difference between health and starvation for my family.

Now I know some of you are going to say they broke a law when they crossed that border without "permission". If you're going to look at it that way, then we are all criminals. Is there any one of us that hasn't broken some law at some point in our lives [jaywalking, speeding, littering, etc.]? Using this kind of definition for the word robs it of any real meaning, and basically just makes it another word for human being.

Call these people "illegal aliens" or "undocumented immigrants" if you must, but calling them "criminals" is just wrong. They are decent and hard-working folks who mean you no harm. They are simply trying to care for their loved ones, just like you are.

No comments:

Post a Comment

ANONYMOUS COMMENTS WILL NOT BE PUBLISHED. And neither will racist,homophobic, or misogynistic comments. I do not mind if you disagree, but make your case in a decent manner.