Monday, February 25, 2008

Nader Decides To Do It Again


Ralph Nader is doing it again. Yesterday, Nader announced that he is once again running for president as an independent. He says he is running because we must have a president who will stand up to Big Business and "shift the power from the few to the many".

I like and admire Ralph Nader. America is a much better place because of Mr. Nader. In fact, I voted for him in 2000 and again in 2004. I did so because I think he is right about corporatism being the major evil that has to be changed for the good of all Americans.

In the past few years, I did not believe either of the major parties were willing to clip the corporate wings and reduce their powerful effect of our government. It was like we had a choice between the Corporate Party (Rep.) and the Corporate-Lite Party (Dem.), and I've never cared to vote for the "lesser of two evils". So I voted my conscience and chose Nader.

But this year, we have a different situation. This year the Democrats are on the verge of choosing a candidate that understands radical change is needed. A candidate who has worked as a community organizer for the poor and downtrodden. A candidate who has not taken millions in corporate donations and is not beholden to them. That candidate is Barack Obama.

I was hoping that Ralph Nader would see what is happening and stay out of the race this year. While I still respect him, my vote will go to Barack Obama this year. I think a lot of other "Naderites" will also be voting Obama this year.

Nader got less support in 2004 than he did in 2000. This year, he will get even less. I don't think he will be a problem for Obama in November. In fact, I doubt he will even be able to get on the ballot in half of the states, because most of his former supporters have already flocked to vote in the Democratic primary.

It made me sad to hear he had once again chosen to run. I think he'll just embarrass himself this year. This is not a time for "jousting with windmills". The future is here, and his name is Barack Obama.

No comments:

Post a Comment

ANONYMOUS COMMENTS WILL NOT BE PUBLISHED. And neither will racist,homophobic, or misogynistic comments. I do not mind if you disagree, but make your case in a decent manner.