Monday, March 31, 2008

Richardson Backs Udall For Senate


During this election season, I have been wrapped up in supporting Barack Obama for president and Rick Noriega for the U.S. Senate seat from Texas. I still think both are great candidates, and I will do everything I can to see they both are elected this coming November.

But I was reminded recently that there's another senate campaign going on less than a hundred miles from where I live -- in our neighboring state of New Mexico. New Mexico has a great Democrat running for senate named Tom Udall.

Bill Richardson, governor of New Mexico, has now thrown his full support behind Mr. Udall. This is what Richardson has to say about Udall:

I've known Tom Udall for more than 25 years. But more than just being my good friend, he has shown himself time and again to be a voice for reason and solid Democratic values.

In fact, he was one of the very few Members of Congress to have the courage to vote against the War in Iraq, even when George W. Bush was stampeding the entire country into an invasion that we now know was completely unjustified and ultimately deeply damaging to America. You can hear Tom talk very eloquently about his plan to end the war by clicking here.

You, I and all of America need his wisdom now in the U.S. Senate--particularly when we've seen how 49 Republicans can block the entire progress of the country through political maneuvering and threats of filibuster.

Without Tom in the Senate, along with a veto-proof Democratic majority, we cannot begin to undo the terrible damage George W. Bush, Dick Cheney, and the Republicans have done to our economy, our environment and our future.

Millions of Americans now face home foreclosure while trillions of dollars in personal wealth have been wiped out because of Republican aversion to financial regulation.

37 million Americans face every day without health insurance because of Republican devotion to insurance company profits.

And America is hobbled by its dependence on foreign oil while the Republicans have blocked a meaningful renewable energy policy for the future.

I know that right now the media and many voters are focused on the presidential election. And there is no question that it is critically important. But it is every bit as important that we elect as many Democrats to the Senate as possible.

A Democratic president will need a Senate that will fully support the change America needs now. And if, despite our best efforts, the Republicans hold onto the White House, it will be like a third term for George W. Bush and Dick Cheney unless we have a veto-proof majority in the Senate.

Even though my own presidential bid is over, I remain keenly engaged in this election at every level of government. We have an opportunity to take our country back now that we simply must not miss.

Naturally, my first order of business is supporting Rick Noriega in his battle to unseat John Cornyn. I will keep sending him what I can and will campaign hard for him as the election nears. But I bet I can free up a few dollars to send to our western neighbor, Tom Udall. If you can, then I urge you to do so.

Our new Democratic president is going to need both of these good men to help him in the senate.

No comments:

Post a Comment

ANONYMOUS COMMENTS WILL NOT BE PUBLISHED. And neither will racist,homophobic, or misogynistic comments. I do not mind if you disagree, but make your case in a decent manner.