Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Obama Suspends Campaign


Presidential candidate Barack Obama is suspending his campaign for at least a few days. But this is no grandstand play like McCain's suspension to "fix the economy". Obama is flying to Hawaii to be at the bedside of his beloved grandmother (pictured above) who is seriously ill. Our best wishes go out to Obama and his relatives during this family emergency.

Here is the story from MSNBC:

WEST PALM BEACH, Fla. - Democrat Barack Obama is canceling nearly all his campaign events Thursday and Friday to fly to Hawaii to visit his suddenly ill 86-year-old grandmother.

Campaign spokesman Robert Gibbs told reporters Monday that Obama's grandmother, Madelyn Payne Dunham, who helped raise him, was released from the hospital late last week. But he says her health has deteriorated to the point where her situation is very serious.

Gibbs said Obama would return to the campaign trail on Saturday, though he was unsure where.

Obama events originally planned for Madison, Wis., and Des Moines, Iowa, on Thursday will be replaced with one in Indianapolis before he makes the long flight to Hawaii.

1 comment:

  1. My prayers and best wishes go out to Senator Obama and his grandmother.

    Although my last grandparent died just weeks after I was born, because his grandmother helped raise him, I can relate to the urgency of rushing to the bedside of my gravely ill mother more than three decades ago.

    I was in the Army, taking an intensive language course that was critical for my career, and although that's not as important as running for leader of the Free World, I put my duties aside for one week to be with my mother. She died a week later, and I've always treasured those last days I spent with her.

    Godspeed, Senator. The campaign will be waiting for you when you get back. You'll never regret this decision, regardless of the outcome of the election.

    ReplyDelete

ANONYMOUS COMMENTS WILL NOT BE PUBLISHED. And neither will racist,homophobic, or misogynistic comments. I do not mind if you disagree, but make your case in a decent manner.