Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Williams Comes Home To Texas

I'll give Cowboys owner Jerry Jones one thing -- he doesn't give up. After losing last Sunday, having several important players injured, and seeing cornerback "Pacman" Jones suspended by the NFL Commissioner again, he steps up and makes a major trade to help the team.

Just minutes before the NFL trading deadline, Jones acquired wide receiver Roy Williams from the hapless Detroit Lions. To get Williams he gave up three picks in the 2009 draft -- a first rounder, a third rounder and a sixth rounder. That's a lot, but Williams is a top-notch player and probably worth it.

Entering the season, I had hoped some receivers would step up and show the team we didn't need to trade for anyone. But that hasn't happened. Teams have been double-teaming Terrell Owens and taking him out of the game. That should have been a golden opportunity for another receiver, but no one has stepped forward to pick up the slack. With Williams on the other side now, teams will have to think twice about double-teaming Owens.

As for Williams, he's happy as a lark to be coming back to Texas. He grew up in Odessa as a Cowboys fan and played his college ball at the University of Texas. He's coming home, and coming with a new six-year contract. He said, "I am more happy than when I got my first bike. I am just a little boy from Odessa, Texas. I have always been a Cowboys fan. I wanted to be like Hershel Walker. Knowing I have a chance to finish my career with the Cowboys makes me feel at home."

For the next four weeks, the Cowboys offense is in the hands of backup quarterback Brad Johnson (Romo broke his pinky finger). At least Johnson has three top quality receivers to throw to -- Owens, Williams and Jason Whitten. He couldn't ask for better than that!

1 comment:

  1. Woo hoo

    That is great news. I that it he will be names Roy Williams II, once the Roy Williams, the safety, is healthy again.

    I recall, when Roy Williams was playing in Detroit, it was the safety who insulted in and now they are playing together. Talk about a lesson in how not to burn bridges.

    ReplyDelete

ANONYMOUS COMMENTS WILL NOT BE PUBLISHED. And neither will racist,homophobic, or misogynistic comments. I do not mind if you disagree, but make your case in a decent manner.