Friday, January 16, 2009

Where Is The Line ?


During the time that I was off sick, a bit of a brouhaha was created among Texas progressive bloggers. While I don't think anyone did anything wrong or meant to do anything wrong, it does bring up a serious issue that all bloggers everywhere should think about -- especially political bloggers.

A small group of progressive bloggers had arranged to do a teleconference interview with ex-comptroller John Sharp, who has announced his intention to run for Kay Bailey Hutchison's senate seat when she resigns to run for governor in 2010. Obviously, Mr. Sharp was hoping to convince these bloggers to support him in the 2010 primary (where his opponent would be Mayor Bill White of Houston).

But there were technical problems and the teleconference call was unable to be completed. To make up for it, Sharp invited those bloggers to meet with him in an Austin steakhouse. They had a lively political discussion, where Sharp's political past and future was discussed, along with his stand on issues important to Texas. Sharp paid for the steaks and drinks.

That's where the problem starts. Another Texas progressive blogger took those at the meeting to task for accepting the dinner from Sharp. At this point, I must confess to you that I personally know and respect all of the bloggers involved on both sides of this issue. I don't, even for a minute, believe that any of them could be "bought" for a steak dinner and a few drinks.

But it just doesn't look good, and in politics sometimes perceptions are as important as truth. Many bloggers have long complained that they aren't taken seriously, and bloggers have fought long and hard for the respect they are beginning to be given. As an example, bloggers are now sent press releases by many politicians and even given interviews. The Texas and National Democratic parties even gave many bloggers press credentials last year.

I asked myself, would I respect a mainstream journalist who accepted dinners or small gifts from politicians he/she covered? Frankly, it would make me question their coverage -- especially if that coverage was positive. Now this is not unheard of. Both Lyndon Johnson and John McCain were known for the barbeques they threw for the press that covered them, and they were sometimes very lavish affairs. Now I don't know that these affairs ever produced any good press for these men, but isn't it obvious that both men were trying to purchase a little good will at least from the journalists?

Now I think we can all agree that if a journalist (or a blogger) was given a gift costing over a $1000, then their credibility would be damaged. But where is the line to be drawn? Just where between a dinner or a t-shirt and a much more expensive gift, do we decide the person has been bought?

The only thing most readers know about journalists or bloggers is what they read from them. They must be able to trust the writer, or they will stop reading what they write. After all, who wants to read something a person has been paid to say? That's why I was surprised that these bloggers would take any chance with the reputation they've worked for years to establish. As I said, I know these bloggers and know they are too proud and honest to be bought, but many readers don't know them. What false perception have these readers been given?

Now I don't claim to be a journalist. If you come to this blog for news, you'll be disappointed. The only thing I have to offer is my honest opinion honed by years of experience. My reputation is everything. To protect that reputation, I take nothing from anyone I might write about. In fact, I don't even accept paid advertising (although I don't condemn those who do). You may not like or respect my opinion, but it is my honest opinion and that's important to me.

What do you readers think? Is it OK for a blogger to accept a dinner or gift? Where is the line to be drawn? How much could a blogger accept before you stopped reading their blog? I would appreciate your honest opinion on this matter (even you lurkers who've never commented before).

3 comments:

  1. My opinion http://salon.glenrose.net/default.asp?view=plink&id=9636

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks salon. You wrote an excellent post, and I urge everyone to go over and read it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My first paid jobs in the dead tree media were as a sportswriter, and there was the prevailing ethos of "you can eat their food and still trash their team."

    As an older and maybe less cynical writer, I see the need for personal conduct codes for sportswriters and bloggers alike. All we have to offer the reading public is our creditability.

    ReplyDelete

ANONYMOUS COMMENTS WILL NOT BE PUBLISHED. And neither will racist,homophobic, or misogynistic comments. I do not mind if you disagree, but make your case in a decent manner.