Sunday, May 03, 2009

Cowboy Practice Facility Collapses


The new year for the Dallas Cowboys is certainly off to an inauspicious start. The new draftees and free agents were only in their second day of practice as a Cowboy, and they find themselves in the middle of an unexpected disaster. They hadn't even had a chance to get used to being in a Cowboy uniform yet.

The Cowboys were holding a three day mini-camp this weekend. It was a chance for the newbies to get fitted for a uniform, suit out and show the Cowboy coaches what they can do. But in the middle of their second day of practice, a storm comes up, with 64 mile-an-hour winds, and the practice facility they were in collapses. At least 10 people were injured, but fortunately, no one was fatally injured.

According to the Fort Worth Star-Telegram, "The facility was built in 2003. It’s approximately 80,000 square feet and covers a 100-yard, synthetic grass field. The peak of the building is approximately 80 feet." There were about 70 people in the facility when the roof collapsed.

After the way the last season ended, I didn't think things could get any worse for the team. I guess I was wrong. All I can hope for is that a year that starts this badly won't end until the Super Bowl.

1 comment:

  1. I was working on the yard when the phone calls from fellow Dallas Cowboys fans came in.

    I, too, thought the worst.

    You wanna hear a very morbid thought?

    When I heard that there were no serious injuries (a report that was later altered later), my initial thought was: I bet Jerry is going to like this free publicity.

    That is sad to think of the owner in such a fashion.

    ReplyDelete

ANONYMOUS COMMENTS WILL NOT BE PUBLISHED. And neither will racist,homophobic, or misogynistic comments. I do not mind if you disagree, but make your case in a decent manner.