Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Football Is Back !


I admit it. I love football, especially Dallas Cowboys football. For me, this is the official start of the football season. Yesterday, the Dallas Cowboys players reported to training camp in San Antonio. Today, they will actually start working out.

How good will the Cowboys be this year? At this point that's anybody's guess. It seems like most of the "prognosticators" are picking them between 13th and 19th in their ranking of NFL teams this year. I know I'm a "homer", but I think they're better than that.

The defense should be the best they've had in years. They have excellent talent there, including a better selection of defensive-backs, and Coach Wade Phillips is going to personally take charge of coaching the defense this year. That should help, because he's shown himself to be an excellent defensive co-ordinator in the past.

On offense, the line is should be pretty good and they have three excellent running backs. The only problem there will be getting all of them enough playing time. Romo is returning, and I still think he's one of the best quarterbacks in the league. His backup is also improved this year, with the addition of Kitna.

The only question mark is with the wide receivers. Roy Williams needs to step up and accept a leadership role as the number one receiver. The other young receivers also need to step up -- the time for learning is over and it's now time to produce.

There is a bit of bad news. Draftee Robert Brewster, a tackle, tore a muscle lifting weights in training camp and has just had surgery. It looks like he will miss most or all of the season. The Cowboys still need to sign him and add him to the roster, then they can list him as "unable to perform". He is an excellent prospect, who was never hurt in four years at college, and I'm sure the Cowboys will want to keep him.

I won't be giving daily reports on the Cowboys camp, but I may do a few posts when something happens that I find interesting.

No comments:

Post a Comment

ANONYMOUS COMMENTS WILL NOT BE PUBLISHED. And neither will racist,homophobic, or misogynistic comments. I do not mind if you disagree, but make your case in a decent manner.