Friday, August 27, 2010

Another Republican Out Of The Closet


It's simply amazing how many rabidly anti-homosexual Republicans have either come out of the closet or have been exposed as being gay. I guess it just goes to show that Shakespeare knew what he was talking about when he said "The lady doth protest too much, methinks" (and the quote applies to both sexes). Those who protest the loudest are usually guilty of what they are protesting against.

The latest Republican to come out of the closet is former Republican National Committee chairman (and campaign chief for Bush's 2004 presidential campaign) Ken Mehlman. Mehlman has admitted to his family, friends and associates that he has been gay for many years. A couple of days ago, he admitted it also to a reporter. He told the reporter that he is fixing to participate in a fundraiser for the American Foundation for Equal Rights (a group that fought against Prop 8 in California) and he knew there would be questions about his participation.

Mehlman said, "It's taken me 43 years to get comfortable with this part of my life. Everybody has their own path to travel, their own journey, and for me, over the past few months, I've told my family, friends, former colleagues, and current colleagues, and they've been wonderful and supportive. The process has been something that's made me a happier and better person. It's something I wish I had done years ago."

I wish he had done it years ago too. I'm glad he's done it now and I'm glad he happier, but doesn't he realize the unhappiness and heartache he caused multitudes of his fellow homosexuals for far too many years now? He's out now and wants to work for the ability of gays/lesbians to get married, but he's got a whole lot to make up for and participating in a fundraiser or two is not going to do it.

Interestingly enough, while all news outlets have done at least some stories on Mehlman coming out of the closet, Fox News has not said a word about it. It's amazing how they can ignore any story that might cast a bad light on the right-wing "values". Then again, maybe they just don't know what to think about a right-winger who has decided to be honest.

I'm just wondering now who will be the next Republican or right-winger to come out of the closet.

No comments:

Post a Comment

ANONYMOUS COMMENTS WILL NOT BE PUBLISHED. And neither will racist,homophobic, or misogynistic comments. I do not mind if you disagree, but make your case in a decent manner.