Wednesday, March 16, 2011

A Radical Suggestion To Save Texas Schools

Elementary through high school education in the state of Texas is in serious trouble right now. The state government is facing a $27 billion shortfall for the next biennium, and part of their solution to this problem is to slash nearly $10 billion from the education budget (even though the state currently rates last among states in the amount of money it provides per-student, and leads the nation in the percentage of high school dropouts).

It doesn't take a genius to figure out this would be devastating to Texas education. It would result in the lay-off of about 100,000 teachers and radically increase class size (which has a direct relationship to a student's quality of education). How are school districts going to deal with such massive cuts? My fellow blogger over at Bordertown Blues has a suggestion. It's kind of radical and it would make some people mad, but it would save public education in Texas. Here's what he has to say:

Well, upon great reflection and a few Dos XX, I have a solution. Hold on to your britches because its gonna be a doozy. My solution to the whole thing is this: cancel athletics and save the teachers and programs that are the cornerstone of education.

*checks window nervously hoping no one is out there with torches and pitchforks.

Yes, you read that right--eliminate all athletic programs in Texas across the board and save millions.

As districts think of overloaded classes, teacher layoffs, and the elimination of headstart programs in some locales, it is time to consider the possibility of eliminating millions of dollars in yearly budgets by taking a time out from football, baseball, track, and baskeball. Think of how much money would be saved if you cut out the coaching stipends and those 15 day pay stipends (The "15 days" is a pretty hefty chunk of money is paid to coaches to prepare for their respective sports by working in the summers) that are based on a coach's yearly salary as dictated by his approximate 185 day annual contract.

Why not? It is not like the coaches would lose their jobs. They will remain English teachers, Social Studies instructors, P.E. teachers, and the like.

But think of the money saved.

Bus travel and meals? Gone. Uniforms and practice gear? Eliminated. Facility upkeep and new and improved weightrooms? Strike them from the books.

Now, don't get me wrong. I don't hate sports. I love athletic competition. But, things are pretty bad out there in the greatest economic downturn since the 1930s (I watched CNN today and that is what they called it).

I doubt it would be permanent. Perhaps in a year or two everything can be brought back. But, the main point is: athletics are supposed to be extra curricular. It is not mandatory to have them is it?

Maybe a compromise could be reached? Maybe school districts could make sports a personally funded enterprise like AAU track. Plate sales? Car washes? Parents would have to pony up the cash if they want Johnny and Emily to be part of the Nixon Mustang basketball program, for instance.

Either way, its a take. Its not perfect. I have no figures to throw out at you. I just thought it was ludicrous to have a Biology class at the high school level with 40 kids. I thought it was a crime to think of firing teachers. I believed it was not right to have the elimination of headstart programs in some parts of the state.

To me its simple. If I had an imaginary $100,000 for a given year, I'd rather hire two teachers than fund sports with that money. Sorry.

Excuse me while I will now go to find my body armor and helmet.

BT's suggestion may seem crazy to some, but I believe it has merit. In times like these, when the state government has shown it really doesn't care about properly educating Texas children, it would be good for us to stop and think about what education is supposed to be about.

Do we have schools so we can train athletes for college and professional sports (even though only a fraction of students will participate in either one), or are the schools there to educate students and prepare them for their future? Isn't learning math, English, languages, science, history, geography and political science much more important for our children than learning to play a sport (which could be done in summer or after-school community programs).

Don't get me wrong. I love high school sports and I can see their value in teaching sportsmanship and other life lessons. But if there's not enough money to properly teach our children the necessary academics, then sports need to go (and maybe some other extra-curricular activities also). It is simply the matter of recognizing what is critically important (academics) and what it would be nice to have (everything else).

And I'll bet it wouldn't have to happen for long. If a large part of the school districts in the state discontinued athletics, I'll bet the state legislators could all of a sudden find the needed money. They might not value education, but they certainly love their high school sports (and they won't want to face the unhappy voters back home).

And now that I've agreed with BT's suggestion, maybe I should get my own helmet and body armor.

1 comment:

  1. I always thought this a good Idea.
    When my kids got to HS I discouraged them from sports. When they said they wanted to do some form I signed us all up for judo and competed around the state. And WINNING was NOT important but doing your best and appreciating a good opponent. EVERYONE competed not just the GOOD players. HS sports has always taught the wrong long term lessons.

    ReplyDelete

ANONYMOUS COMMENTS WILL NOT BE PUBLISHED. And neither will racist,homophobic, or misogynistic comments. I do not mind if you disagree, but make your case in a decent manner.