Friday, June 08, 2012

And It Begins

The picture above is of the Brown Convention Center in downtown Houston. That's where the Democrats will be meeting on Friday and Saturday -- to listen to too many speeches, develop the party platform, lay down the party rules, and select party officers for the next two years.

My journey to Houston got off to an inauspicious start, and for a little while I was worrying this would be a trip laden with bad luck. After we all got on the plane in Amarillo, we were informed that we didn't have any pilots. Our plane's pilots were supposed to have arrived on another plane from Las Vegas, but that plane was late and had not yet arrived in Amarillo. So we got to sit and wait for the pilots to arrive.

Fortunately, it was only a fifteen minute wait, but that put me in a time squeeze since I only had 30 minutes to switch planes in Dallas. And I barely made it. The plane from Dallas to Houston was already boarding when I finally arrived at the right gate. I got into Houston on time, but it was in the middle of a drenching downpour of rain -- so I was wet as I checked in to the hotel.

But things went better after that. I met with two other Texas bloggers, Neil of The Texas Liberal and Perry of Brains and Eggs (see sidebar for links to their blogs), and they took me out for an excellent dinner and some scintillating conversation. I just hope they had half as good a time as I did. I finished up the night by having a short chat with Rachel Barrios-Van Os (who I hope will be our new state party chair in a couple of days) and her husband David. They are super-nice people, and progressive to the core.

Tomorrow morning the convention will kick off with the issuance of credentials, followed by many different caucuses, and finally the Senate District meetings. The convention as a whole will be gaveled to order right after lunch. And after the convention adjourns for the night, the big Bloggers Caucus Party will start about 9:00pm.

Tomorrow will be a busy day (and night), so I'd better get to bed now and get at least some sleep.

1 comment:

ANONYMOUS COMMENTS WILL NOT BE PUBLISHED. And neither will racist,homophobic, or misogynistic comments. I do not mind if you disagree, but make your case in a decent manner.