Thursday, August 23, 2012

Crazy In West Texas

The other day I handed the crown for craziest politician in this country to Missouri's Todd Akin, and he certainly is still a contender for that crown (with his insane pronouncements about rape). But there's a politician in West Texas who evidently doesn't want to see the craziest politician crown leave this state.

This idiot is Lubbock County Judge Tom Head (pictured above). What did Judge Head do to toss his hat in the ring for the crazy crown? Well, it seems he wants to raise county taxes so he can hire some more deputies for the Sheriff's Department. That in itself is not crazy. The crazy part lies in why he thinks those deputies are needed.

Now he could have told constituents that they were needed because of the increased county population, or because of an increase in crime, or a need to cut down response time. Those are all logical reasons and would probably be accepted by the voters. But that's not Head's reason. No, he had to turn loose the crazy -- in spades!

It seems that Head is afraid that President Obama will get re-elected. And once he is re-elected, the president will turn American sovereignty over to the United Nations (although he doesn't explain how the president could do that). After that, Head said the people would revolt and the president would send U.N. troops to Lubbock -- and he wants to stand in front of "their armored personnel carrier" with his new deputies (and he also doesn't explain how he and those new deputies would stop a whole army).

I think Akin may have to work a little harder to keep that crazy crown in Missouri. County Judge Tom Head may well bring it back to Texas. The only thing that worries me is that Lubbock County is only about 100 miles from where I live (less than a two hour drive). I wonder if we could move that border wall the GOP wants to build just a little bit north of Lubbock. I would feel a lot safer.

A couple of questions for Lubbock County voters? How on earth did you elect this mental patient (and when are you going to lock him back up)?

3 comments:

  1. Curious Texan8/23/2012 8:22 AM

    Finally, FINALLY, Lubbock is saddled with something stupid rather than Amarillo. After the Chilean flag flying over the Potter County courthouse, the Oprah trial, the verdict in the Brian Deneke murder case, and Judge Kiser announcing that speaking Spanish to your child is a form of child abuse, the Hub City now has to face a similar humiliation. It's about time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have seen the t-shirt "Keep Austin Weird" but it should be changed to read "KEEP TEXAS WEIRD". If Rick Perry had seceded from the US, y'all would NOT be able to apply for disaster relief from floods or fires or hurricanes. I'm sure he didn't think about that. I grew up around San Antonio, Houston, and San Angelo but I think the only sane place in TX is Austin. My son lives in Galveston, my brother lives in The Woodlands near Houston, and my sister lives in Dallas. I went to UT Austin. I didn't pay any attention back then but it's amazing how a little distance from the TX state borders can enhance the view. I suspect there are many other states who harbor similar nut-jobs but they're bigger and more blatant in TX. I live in Mississippi now and I try to stay far away from these home-grown wing-nuts. My sincerest sympathies...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Curious Texan8/25/2012 1:27 PM

    Ted, in case you're still debating who's the crazier (Akin or Head), consider this: As crazy as Judge Head's statement was, it was only a prediction, not a statement of fact. Akin, on the other hand, framed his statement not only as a fact, but as a scientific certainty.

    I hope that helps you decide.

    ReplyDelete

ANONYMOUS COMMENTS WILL NOT BE PUBLISHED. And neither will racist,homophobic, or misogynistic comments. I do not mind if you disagree, but make your case in a decent manner.