But that does not mean there is no progressive candidate running for the seat. The Green Party has come to the rescue this year for those of us who simply cannot vote for a Republican or a Libertarian (the other two parties with candidates in the congressional race). Keith Houston, from Randall County, is running against Thornberry on the Green Party ticket. Houston is a prosecutor who graduated from the Texas Wesleyan School of Law. He is also a novelist who published his first novel in 2011 (The Next Amendment). He is also married (for 13 years) and the parent of two girls. Here is what he lists as his primary goals if elected:
- Make elections fairer by pushing for open primaries and full disclosure of campaign advertising;
- Promote clean energy, specifically the Wind Power in the Texas Panhandle, by modernizing America's energy infrastructure;
- Responsible use of natural resources by ensuring companies taking advantage of the resources clean up after themselves and not pass that responsibility to tax payers ;
- Push for government reform by combining redundant agencies and reducing wasteful spending;
- Promoting policies that provide a safety net for those that need help getting on their feet;
- Push diplomacy over war by following the advice of Teddy Roosevelt who said, "Speak softly and carry a big stick."