Wednesday, October 02, 2013

Public Doesn't See Race Relations Improving

It would be nice to think we have solved our racial problems in this country. But the truth is that passing a few laws, like the voting rights, civil rights, and housing rights laws of the 1960s, didn't solve all of those problems. They were a good start, but much remains to be done.

Unfortunately, we seem to have reached a plateau in solving the problem and progress has slowed (or stopped). At least, that is the attitude of a significant majority of Americans. The chart above is from the Bloomberg News Poll that was done between September 20th and 23rd of 1,000 nationwide adults (with a 3.1 point margin of error). Note that only 27% of Americans believe race relations are getting better, while 70% believe they are not (43% saying they are staying the same & 27% saying they are getting worse).

I tend to agree with the 43%. I don't believe race relations are getting worse (although the racists have been louder and more open since the election of President Obama). But I do believe we are not currently making much progress, and that's a sad commentary on a 21st Century society.

2 comments:

  1. I have lived mostly in the southeast (NC, GA, AL, MS, LA, TX) but I have also lived in CA and MO. Oddly, I did not notice much difference in race relations in any of these states. CA had the least contentious race relations of any of these states but once I got out of Los Angeles it seemed like I was back in the burbs of Atlanta or Birmingham, or Jackson. It would be nice not to have white people come up to me and say racist things thinking that I am just as bigoted as they are.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I understand. When I was younger, I used to put up with those kind of racist jokes and remarks just to get along (and I regret that). But now I don't give a crap what those people think of me, and I will tell them they sound racist (and I'm much happier with myself).

      Delete

ANONYMOUS COMMENTS WILL NOT BE PUBLISHED. And neither will racist,homophobic, or misogynistic comments. I do not mind if you disagree, but make your case in a decent manner.