Tuesday, April 15, 2014

A Majority Of Older Americans Are Now On The Internet




Maybe it's because I am a Baby Boomer myself, but I found these figures on internet use by older Americans fairly interesting. It seems that you can teach an old dog new tricks, because a significant majority of Americans over 65 years-old (59%) now use the internet (and 71% of those using the internet do so daily). That's pretty good for a group of people who were well into their adult years before home computers were even available to the public.

But while a majority of those seniors are online (using e-mail and searching the internet), only about a quarter of those over 65 use social network sites (Google+, Facebook, etc.), while about 90% of younger Americans do so.

I also found it interesting that there are three factors that influence whether a senior will use the internet or not. Note that those who are the youngest seniors, those with the most education, and those with the highest incomes, have the highest rate of internet use -- while the opposite is true of the oldest seniors, the least educated, and those with the lowest incomes.

These figures come from a Pew Research Center survey done between July 18th and September 30th of 2013. The survey questioned 1,526 people over 65, and has a margin of error of 2.9 points.

1 comment:

  1. "...while the opposite is true of the oldest seniors, the least educated, and those with the lowest incomes." This is pretty obvious to me: oldest seniors sleep a lot and have mobility issues, least educated probably worked from an early age after leaving school to help out their families, and lowest incomes don't have enough money to buy a computer because they are paying big medical bills. I am also a Baby Boomer. I am a Graphic Artist and make my living using a computer so I have advanced computer skills. I am lucky. Computers have been around since the late 80s. I embraced the change to the e-Age but a lot of my generation didn't or couldn't. But, "necessity is the mother of invention." If you want to Skype with your grandchildren who live 700 miles away, you learn to use the computer!!

    ReplyDelete

ANONYMOUS COMMENTS WILL NOT BE PUBLISHED. And neither will racist,homophobic, or misogynistic comments. I do not mind if you disagree, but make your case in a decent manner.