Friday, May 22, 2015

Public Overestimates Percentage Of Gays/Lesbians In U.S.



These numbers are from a new survey by the Gallup Poll -- done between May 6th and 10th of a random national sample of 1,024 adults, with a margin of error of 4 points. They asked the respondents to make their best guess at the percentage of the United States population that was homosexual. For the most part, the guesses were outrageously large.

It turns out that the average guess was 23% -- nearly a quarter of the population. And every demographic group questioned had a very high average guess -- ranging from 15% to 28%. I have to admit I was amused at these numbers (and that's why I bring you this poll).

Gallup says the percentage of homosexuals in the United States is about 3.8%. That's the number of people who admit they are homosexual when asked by Gallup in a survey. I think that's an underestimate. It's still very hard to be an open homosexual in many parts of this country, and I wouldn't be surprised if some hid that when surveyed.

My best guess would be around 6% to 7%, and I admit that is only a guess. What do you think? I would be interested in your best guess?

2 comments:

  1. If I were to make an educated guess it would be around 5 percent. When referring to bisexuality, I would guess the number would jump to around 10%. In my family of 5 sibs, I have one brother who is gay which is 20 percent of my family members. I live in the deep south and instead of being too homophobic when someone in your family is gay, we just say they are eccentric.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm in Mensa, which is 2%. I have MS , which is 1%. Before joining Mensa I knew my mother, one Mensan. Before being diagnosed I didn't know anyone with MS. I'm straight and I have known about a half dozen gay people who are out, I was propositioned by another woman twice (which is no less flattering than being asked out by a straight guy even if I'm not interested) I'd guess about 7-8%.

    ReplyDelete

ANONYMOUS COMMENTS WILL NOT BE PUBLISHED. And neither will racist,homophobic, or misogynistic comments. I do not mind if you disagree, but make your case in a decent manner.