Tuesday, September 29, 2015

93% Of All Americans Want Background Check Law Fixed


These results are from the new Quinnipiac University Poll -- done between September 17th and 21st of a random national sample of 1,574 registered voters, with a margin of error of 2.5 points.

Americans are split over whether this country should have stricter gun laws -- with a small plurality (48% to 45%) saying they wouldn't want stricter gun laws. I think that's because "stricter gun laws" is such a general term that it gives many visions of outlawing guns and/or taking guns away from law-abiding citizens (that's to some very effective propaganda from the NRA).

But there is one gun issue on which nearly all Americans agree. When you specifically ask whether a background check should be done on ALL people trying to buy a gun, the answer is overwhelmingly yes -- about 93% of the general population. And that opinion holds true for all demographic groups -- including 90% of Republicans and 93% of people with a gun in their household.

I have trouble understanding why our politicians in Washington refuse to fix the background check law (which still allows 40% of all guns sold in this country each year to be sold without a background check). Plugging the loopholes in that law would save thousands of lives each year, and it come with no political cost (since 93% of the public supports it).

I have to believe that far too many of our politicians have sold their soul (and their vote) to the NRA. We must vote those fools out of office. They were elected to serve the American people -- not the NRA and the gun manufacturers (the only ones opposed to fixing the background check law).

1 comment:

  1. I don't think it works that way. Even the NRA members who answer "yes" to this polling question look at the NRA scores and vote accordingly. I have family members who are NRA members and don't agree with the NRA on much of anything. But try convincing them of that! They believe they can trust the NRA, even though it actually looks out for the interests of gun manufacturers and not gun owners. Add to this the very true bumper sticker, "I'm NRA and I Vote!" We need a bumper sticker for our "allies": "I'm for Sensible Gun Regulations and I Don't Vote Because I Just Don't Care Enough!" Or perhaps: "Ask Me How I'm Destroying the World By Not Voting!" Or even better: "Oh, Fuck It!"

    Sorry for being a downer, but I just wrote an article on global warming and it all just pisses me off so much.

    ReplyDelete

ANONYMOUS COMMENTS WILL NOT BE PUBLISHED. And neither will racist,homophobic, or misogynistic comments. I do not mind if you disagree, but make your case in a decent manner.