Monday, February 12, 2018

OMG! I Find Myself Hoping Steve Bannon Is Right!

(This cartoon image of Steve Bannon is by Randall Enos at cagle.com.)

I have always had an extremely low opinion of Steve Bannon. I consider him to be a white supremacist, a misogynist, and a purveyor of the extreme right-wing agenda. He is an odious individual, and I believe his policies would do serious damage to this country.

So, you can imagine my horror and revulsion to find that I am hoping he is right about something. Consider these quotes from Steve Bannon as he watched the Golden Globes with Josh Green. Green quotes Bannon in an updated version of his book -- Devil's Bargain.

"It's a Cromwell moment! It's even more powerful than populism. It's deeper. It's primal. It's elemental. The long black dresses and all that -- this is the Puritans! It's anti-patriarchy."

"The anti-patriarchy movement is going to undo ten thousand years of recorded history."

"You watch. The time has come. Women are gonna take charge of society. And they couldn't juxtapose a better villain than Trump. He is the patriarch. This is a definitional moment in the culture. It'll never be the same going forward."

My saving grace is that, while I hope what he said is true, I disagree with him about whether it is a bad or good thing. Bannon is horrified at the end of patriarchy, and the thought that women might actually achieve power in this country. I am thrilled by the prospect of that happening.

The patriarchy has not served this country (or the world) well, and it is time it ended. Giving women access to real power is overdue, and I doubt they could do any worse than men have. In fact, I expect it would be a better country (and world).

No comments:

Post a Comment

ANONYMOUS COMMENTS WILL NOT BE PUBLISHED. And neither will racist,homophobic, or misogynistic comments. I do not mind if you disagree, but make your case in a decent manner.