(These caricatures of Stormy Daniels and Donald Trump are by the inimitable DonkeyHotey.)
I must admit that I have enjoyed watching Donald Trump squirm and explode on Twitter about media coverage of his affair with porn star Stormy Daniels. And it has been equally amusing to see the evangelicals jump through numerous hoops trying to explain how their support of Trump doesn't violate their claim of "Family values". But enough is enough.
In the final analysis, this is not something of importance to this country. It is nothing more than a sordid and immoral affair between two consenting adults. An affair in which both parties were wrong. Daniels was wrong to engage in an affair with a married man. And Trump was wrong to engage in an affair while married. But this is not the first time one of our presidents has done this (and some of the offenders were even Democrats). Supporting Stormy Daniels does nothing for women's right, and supporting Donald Trump does nothing for moral values.
It's time to move on to issues that matter -- issues that affect the citizens of this country (and the world). Donald Trump has damaged this country, and he has made the world a more dangerous place -- and those are the issues we should be concerned with.
Donald Trump has been a terrible president, and we need to call him out. We need to be discussing his:
* Assaultive treatment of women who did NOT invite his advances, and his obvious misogyny in the treatment of women in general.
* Incessant lying. He has told over 2500 lies, and hasn't even been in office for a year and a half yet.
* Failure to support a living wage for hard-working Americans, while giving massive tax breaks to the rich and corporations -- increasing the already too large gap in wealth and income between the rich and the rest of us.
* Withdrawal of the U.S. from the Paris Accords, making it much less likely that a global climate calamity can be avoided.
* Coddling of Russia and failure to punish them for their attacks on this country's electoral system, power grid, and other systems.
* Failure to take any substantive action to curb the gun violence epidemic in this country.
* Hiring of John Bolton as national security advisor -- a man who will push for war with North Korea and/or Iran.
* Attacks on the FBI, our intelligence agencies, and the press -- attacks that make the nation less secure and less democratic.
* Making money off his visits to businesses that he owns -- and encouraging other politicians and delegations from other countries to use those businesses.
* Making our air and water dirtier by reversing Obama-era moves to keep those resources clean.
* Giving away our national lands to oil and mining companies.
* Cutting financial aid for college -- making college more expensive and less accessible for many students.
* Making foreign policy blunders that destroy the faith of our allies in U.S. leadership.
Those are a few of the things that we should be talking about -- things Trump has done that make this country more divided and unfair, and make the world a more dangerous place. Worrying about his sordid little affair is just taking our eyes off of the things that matter.