Wednesday, April 12, 2006

Bit of Hope

Shortly after Ann Richards became the governor of Texas, my older brother got to meet her briefly. Having heard her name being spoken of well in our house, I was jealous. I wanted to see this woman who all of the adults in my family so greatly admired. When I was 12-years-old, I finally got my chance. My father took me to see her speak in Fort Worth.

The experience as a whole was one I will never forget. She gave a wonderful speech, making her the first politician to earn my undivided attention. After the speech, I got to meet one of our state Supreme Court justices, as well as several state representatives. By the time we got back home, I had a newfound interest in politics and a new idol.

So when she announced a few weeks ago that she has esophageal cancer, I was crushed. Knowing that this type of cancer can be particularly nasty, my heart went out to her.

Yesterday, though, she gave me a little peace of mind. Speaking at a news conference, she said, "There is no doubt in my mind that I will recover from this," then went on to joke, "If I had known people would be so nice to me, I might have done this sooner."

That's one of the things I like most about her. I don't think she's ever left her home without her great sense of humor. That, along with her incredible strength, makes me think that if anyone can beat this horrible disease, she can.

I don't think Ann is done with this world quite yet, and her words yesterday confirm this belief. Now, I can only hope that I'll be hearing her witty and inspiring words again very soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment

ANONYMOUS COMMENTS WILL NOT BE PUBLISHED. And neither will racist,homophobic, or misogynistic comments. I do not mind if you disagree, but make your case in a decent manner.