Tuesday, August 01, 2006

No Longer A Victim

I spent most of today in the courthouse, waiting to testify, so I'm not feeling very political. This post is more personal in nature. Some of you may have read my post a few days ago, where I talked about getting shot in a carjacking. Well, today the trial started for the shooter. It took about four hours to pick a jury, and the actual trial started about 2:00pm.

I spent most of the afternoon waiting alone in the "Victim's Lounge". I didn't even know they had a seperate lounge for victims. But after thinking about it, it makes sense. Some victims would be helped by waiting in a seperate and safe place. It was a pretty nice place - big screen TV, computer with internet access, large comfortable chairs and sofas. If you have to wait, this was a pretty good place to do it.

Waiting alone had caused me to become pretty nervous, but that seemed to disappear as soon as I set foot in the courtroom. I felt no fear as I looked at the defendent. Things are different now. Last September, he had the gun and all the power, and left me lying in the dirt with my abdomen bleeding. He had made me a victim! Today was my turn. I had the truth and all the power, and there wasn't a damn thing he could do about it.

It was really empowering to look that fool in the eye, and nail his ass to the wall. In a very real way, today was payback. And payback can be a really cold bitch. She'll be screwing with him for many, many, many years. This is where I'm supposed to tell you that I took no joy in this, but that would be a big fat lie. It gave me a great deal of joy to nail his ass.

Testifying wasn't difficult, and I probably wasn't on the stand over 30 or 40 minutes. The trial should end tomorrow or the next day. If anyone is interested, I will post what the final outcome is, as a comment to this post in a day or two. I left the courthouse feeling really good. I'm not a victim anymore. I like that.

9 comments:

  1. Yes. I would like to know the outcome. I'm glad you faced him down and I hope he gets a stiff sentence.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks SCS - I appreciate the support, and I will post it right here as soon as I know.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I second SCS's feelings - I want to hear about the outcome, and think it was great that you stood up in courts.

    BTW - You said in your post that you weren't "feeling very political." Well, as Tip O'Neill (and many others!) said, "all politics is local".

    It doesn't get more "local" that a bullet in the gut, or in the workings of the system to address that.

    It's *all* politics, just not all partisan politics.

    Just something to think about...

    G'night!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks cpmaz -

    You're right of course. What could be more political than criminal justice?

    ReplyDelete
  5. UPDATE ON THE TRIAL - The jury didn't receive the case until about 5:00pm today, so the judge sent them home. They will begin deliberations at 9:00am tomorrow.

    will update again tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad to hear your testimony went well. I sincerely hope that after the verdict and punishment are known, you feel that justice has been done. By all means, keep us posted.

    ReplyDelete
  7. TRIAL UPDATE #2 -

    The jury has come back with a verdict. He was found guilty of two counts of AGGRAVATED ROBBERY WITH A DEADLY WEAPON.

    The penalty phase of the trial will be held next Tuesday afternoon [8/8/06], so the defendent's mother can fly in from out-of-state.

    I will post again when I know what the penalty is.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's great to hear!!

    Hope he gets the max....

    Are you going to be there for the sentencing?

    ReplyDelete
  9. cpmaz-

    I don't think I'll be there for the sentencing. I've already said what I needed to say, and hearing the two guilty verdicts was what I really needed. I am , of course, interested in what he gets, and the DA has promised to call me when he knows.

    marc g -

    After hearing the guilty verdicts today, I truly do feel that justice was done. I'm sure the judge will issue a fair sentence, and whatever it is, I'm prepared to accept it and move on.

    Thanks to both of you for the support. I'll let you know the rest when I know it.

    ReplyDelete

ANONYMOUS COMMENTS WILL NOT BE PUBLISHED. And neither will racist,homophobic, or misogynistic comments. I do not mind if you disagree, but make your case in a decent manner.