Monday, October 16, 2006

Texas Leads The Nation In Gay Parents

I must admit that I was surprised when I read this story. Texas is generally regarded as a right-wing, fundamentalist, and backward state. That's why I was surprised to learn that Texas has a higher percentage of gay parents than any other state. Imagine that! A higher percentage of Texas gays are parents than in any other state, including California, New York, Illinois, Massachusetts, etc.

This is according to a study based on the latest U.S. Census data. It was published in the Gay and Lesbian Atlas. The national city with the highest percentage of gays as parents was San Antonio. Houston was fourth on the list, and Fort Worth/Arlington was fifth.

It is not known why a larger percentage of gays here are parents. One explanation offered is that we have a large hispanic population, and they usually have larger families. That doesn't seem like a sufficient answer to me, but I have no idea what it could be.

All I know is that I'm a little bit prouder of Texas today than I was yesterday.

No comments:

Post a Comment

ANONYMOUS COMMENTS WILL NOT BE PUBLISHED. And neither will racist,homophobic, or misogynistic comments. I do not mind if you disagree, but make your case in a decent manner.

Hispanic Voters Prefer Harris Over Trump

  The charts above are from a Pew Research Center survey that questioned 691 Hispanic registered voters between August 26th and September 2...