Wednesday, December 26, 2007

X-Mas Cards From Heaven


Thirty-four people received handwritten and signed christmas cards from Chet Fitch of Oregon. That wouldn't be unusual, except that the 88 year-old man died last October and the return address on the envelopes was "Heaven".

The cards pictured Mr. Fitch square-dancing with his wife (who died in 1995), and the hand-writing inside said:

"I asked Big Guy if I could sneak back and send some cards. At first he said no; but at my insistence he finally said 'Oh well, what the heaven, go ahead but don't [tarry] there.' Better get back as Big Guy said he stretched a point to let me in the first time, so I had better not press my luck. I'll probably be seeing you (some sooner than you think). Wishing you a very Merry Christmas."

Turns out the cards were written by Mr. Fitch, but not from heaven. Evidently, he enjoyed playing tricks on his friends, and he'd been planning this one with his barber since 1987. He told the barber a week before he died that it looked like this would be the year to mail the cards.

Fitch's daughter said the card was "sweet and funny. So much like him".

No comments:

Post a Comment

ANONYMOUS COMMENTS WILL NOT BE PUBLISHED. And neither will racist,homophobic, or misogynistic comments. I do not mind if you disagree, but make your case in a decent manner.