Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Obama Not Perfect - But He's our Candidate


In the last couple of days, Obama has disappointed many progressives. His statement in support of the so-called "compromise" FISA bill was not something that most Democrats wanted to see. In fact, while I am a dedicated supporter of Obama, I have to say I was also disappointed and I hope he'll redeem himself when the bill gets to the Senate.

But I feel that a lot of bloggers have overreacted to the situation. They seem to be taking great delight in pointing out that he has flaws and proceeding to verbally slice him up. They want us Obama supporters to know that he is not "perfect". Well guess what, we already knew that.

I hate to inform some of you, but there were not any perfect candidates running on the Democratic ticket this year. There were a lot of good candidates, but they all had flaws (even the ones I liked and supported). In fact, I have never even seen a "perfect" candidate, and I doubt that I ever will.

No matter how good a candidate is, someday you will disagree with something he does or says.That's because they are human just like the rest of us, and humans make mistakes and have disagreements -- it's just human nature. The best we can do is find a candidate that we think will do a good job and support him or her.

Obama is not perfect, but he is all we have to prevent a third term for the Bush-Cheney policies. Even the most superficial examination of the candidates will show any real Democrat that he is now our best hope to change our country for the better.

I'm not saying that we can't disagree with him. After he is elected, I'm sure I will disagree with him as much as any Democrat, and I'll make my views known. But maybe we ought to put the knives away for now. Let's put our attention fully on the job ahead -- defeating the Republicans in every single race that we can, including the presidency.

Obama is not perfect, but he is 1000 times better than McCain.

6 comments:

  1. Democracy requires dissension. Of course, we will disagree with some of Obama’s platform or actions. Human beings disagree.

    In a democracy, it is our duty to scrutinize and keep an open mind about issues.

    I agree with your post in all aspects. He’s our guy…but he’s human…we’ll have disagreements but our prime objective has to be the end of Bushite/McBush erosion of our democratic form of government.

    Hiya, sweetie! We have dial-up here in the Ozarks. It’s the internet on life-support but it is the internet. Yay!

    I’m in heaven…can’t see another human in any direction, but I’m glad to know that I’ll still be able to read your site regularly.

    Mick

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's just information that we need so we can pressure him to do the right thing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. MM-
    Great to hear from you. You don't know how jealous I am of your new situation.

    TxS-
    I have no problem with disagreeing with him and pressuring him to do the right thing, but some people are acting like they want to bury him and dance on his grave (and all that does is help McBush).

    ReplyDelete
  4. We have a Republic, not a Democracy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We have a democratic republic, celtictexan. Despite what watching George Bush might lead you to believe, it is in fact possible to walk and chew gum at the same time.

    ReplyDelete
  6. anybody after bush has GOT to be better..
    and McCain is just 'mobush'..

    ReplyDelete

ANONYMOUS COMMENTS WILL NOT BE PUBLISHED. And neither will racist,homophobic, or misogynistic comments. I do not mind if you disagree, but make your case in a decent manner.