Wednesday, September 05, 2012

The "Big Tent" Party

Last week, at the Republican Convention, I almost felt the need for sunglasses to prevent being blinded by the whiteness. Sure, they marched a few tokens across the stage and let them say a few words. But when the cameras panned across the delegates, all that could be seen was a sea of white.

Things are vastly different this week as the Democrats hold their convention in Charlotte, North Carolina. The sea of delegates there are truly representative of the real America, with people of all colors, races, religions, ages, sexes, sexual preferences, and sizes being represented. The Democrats are the real "big tent" party.

Sometimes that can lend itself to some disagreements and infighting. As Will Rogers once said, "I'm not a member of any organized party. I'm a Democrat." But that's just part of the charm of a true big tent party. When people do their own thinking, instead of accepting top-down talking points, there are going to be disagreements.

I do not always agree with President Obama or other Democratic leaders. But I have to admit that my heart leaps with joy just a bit when I see the diversity represented by the Democratic delegates. This is America in all its glory -- and I wouldn't have it any other way.

No comments:

Post a Comment

ANONYMOUS COMMENTS WILL NOT BE PUBLISHED. And neither will racist,homophobic, or misogynistic comments. I do not mind if you disagree, but make your case in a decent manner.