Tuesday, August 25, 2015

Is Joe Biden Going To Jump Into The Democratic Race ?

In the last few days, the cable news outlets are all agog over rumors that Vice-President Joe Biden may toss his respected hat into the Democratic race for the presidential nomination.

It wouldn't be the first time he has run. He has tried it twice before. And it wouldn't be an unusual thing for the sitting vice-president to run. It almost always happens. And if it wasn't for the recent death of his son, these rumors would probably have started earlier.

The rumors were kicked off this time because he met with Senator Elizabeth Warren a few days ago. Sen. Warren, in her short time in the Senate has developed a fairly large and fanatic following among progressive Democrats. I have no doubt that Biden was trying to determine whether he could get her support, or whether she would support any of the candidates. Personally, I think she's going to sit this primary race out, since both Clinton and Sanders (and Biden if he gets in the race) generally support the economic reforms she would like to see.

The news outlets want to know right now if Biden is going to be a candidate, but they're going to be disappointed. Insiders close to Biden say he hasn't made up his mind, and may not do so until around the first of October. I believe that timetable. Biden can read the polls, and he knows that unless something changes he cannot defeat Hillary Clinton.

He will wait another month and see what happens. If Clinton slips badly in the polls in the next month, he will enter the race. If she doesn't, he will not run. Personally, I don't see Clinton slipping in the polls among Democrats. I believe most Democrats believe she has earned her shot at the nomination. For that reason, I don't believe Joe Biden will run.

But I could be wrong. What's your opinion? Will he run, or not?

1 comment:

  1. I agree with you. I think he is just waiting to see if something big happens to destroy Clinton. I don't see that happening and I doubt he sees that happening. But he wants to be prepared if it does. So unless something bad does happen to Clinton, I don't see him running.

    ReplyDelete

ANONYMOUS COMMENTS WILL NOT BE PUBLISHED. And neither will racist,homophobic, or misogynistic comments. I do not mind if you disagree, but make your case in a decent manner.