Tuesday, May 23, 2006

Sometimes We Talk Sports

This blog mostly discusses politics, both local and national. But I have to admit to being sort of a sports nut. So don't be surprised if I can't help myself every now and then and blog a little about sports [especially my beloved Cowboys]. I say all this in order to issue the following alert - World Cup Soccer is almost here.

I am not a rabid soccer fan, but there's something special about the World Cup. I just love it! The first game will be played on June 9th. The United States team is scheduled to play on June 12th, June 17th, and June 22nd. These games will determine whether the US can advance to the second round, and that is by no means a sure thing.

The US has a very good team - maybe the best team we have ever had. But we are also in a very tough group. Both Italy and the Czech Republic are in our group. Both are great soccer teams, but one of them will have to go down if the US is to advance. Whatever happens, it should be a lot of fun.


NOTE - June 9th is also the date the State Democratic Convention opens in Fort Worth. Looks like it'll be a busy weekend for those of us who love both politics and sports.

2 comments:

  1. Yeah and didn't you say the progressive bloggers' thing is on the 9th?

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're absolutely right, Matt, and I don't want to miss that. Looks like I'll have to wear my running shoes that weekend!

    ReplyDelete

ANONYMOUS COMMENTS WILL NOT BE PUBLISHED. And neither will racist,homophobic, or misogynistic comments. I do not mind if you disagree, but make your case in a decent manner.