Saturday, June 10, 2006

Texas Dems Showcase Some Great Candidates

One of the main reasons I dropped by the Texas State Democratic Convention this weekend was to meet and try to evaluate this year's crop of Democratic candidates. I must admit I was not disappointed. All of the candidates were accessible and eager to discuss the coming election and their beliefs.

Let me tell you at this point, I am a progressive left-winger, but not necessarily a Democrat. When the Democrats put forward candidates like Joe Leiberman, I just cannot bring myself to support them. I'm far too old to support anyone from any party that I don't consider qualified. With that said, I am very impressed with many of the Democratic candidates this year.

I met Barbara Ann Radnofsky last night at the Blogger's Caucus and she is terrific. She doesn't stand very tall physically, but if you measure her heart, intelligence, and fighting spirit, then she is a giant. Texans would do well to dump the current senator [Georgie's lapdog] for this dynamic lady. She is running for the U.S. Senate.

Maria Luisa Alvarado is the party's nominee for Lt. Governor. Ms. Alvarado, a retired Master Sargent in the Air Force, impressed me with her warmth, dignity, and intelligence. I think she'll make a great Lt. Governor.

Hank Gilbert is running as the Democratic candidate for Agriculture Commissioner. I grew up in rural Texas and instantly liked Mr. Gilbert. He's a straight-shooter who's not afraid to look you in the eye and tell you what he thinks. He's qualified and capable and will make a great Ag. Commissioner.

One of the most exciting candidates is David Van Os. He is running for Attorney General. Hank Gilbert called him the "short-legged bulldog" of Texas politics. Mr. Van Os may be short, but he's a fighter, and a great candidate. He says he wants to "fight'em till hell freezes over...and then fight'em on the ice". This is not a man who'll let himself be "swift-boated" by the opposition. He also has charisma. Just talk with him five minutes and you'll be a believer.

Others I will be supporting are VaLinda Hathcox, who is running for Texas Land Commissioner, and Gary R. Page, who is running for U.S. Congress in District 24.

I kind of struck out on local Texas House and Senate candidates. I live in House District 92 and Senate District 12. The Democratic Party is not running a candidate in either of these races. Looks like they've just written off northeast Tarrant County. To make the best of this bad situation, I have decided to adopt as my own a couple of Texas House candidates in nearby districts. These are David Pillow, who is running in House District 94, and
Sheila Ford, who is running in House District 99. I'll write much more about these two in the coming weeks.

Looks like the Democrats have some really great candidates. I will have no trouble supporting these guys.

1 comment:

  1. Came across your blog thru leftyblogs, and liked it enough to read some of the posts and bookmark it.

    If Kay Bailey Hutchinson is [Georgie's lapdog] then I live in the state with [Georgie's windup toy] - Jon Kyl.

    Good luck to Ms. Radnofsky....

    ReplyDelete

ANONYMOUS COMMENTS WILL NOT BE PUBLISHED. And neither will racist,homophobic, or misogynistic comments. I do not mind if you disagree, but make your case in a decent manner.