Thursday, February 22, 2007

In Need Of An Old-Fashioned Fatburger !

This is a plea for help from my fellow Amarillo residents. Since moving up here, I have found many good eating places for steaks, Mexican food, barbeque, etc.

But there is one thing I've yet to find - a good grease-dripping, toasted-bun, old-fashioned fat-burger. I'm not talking about the pseudo-hamburgers produced by the national chains like McDonald's, Whataburger, Wendy's or Burger King. Those things are edible, but just barely.

No, I'm looking for that burger that would send a health-nut screaming into the night. Does such a thing still exist in this fair city? Surely it does, but so far I've been unable to find it.

So I ask for help from my fellow citizens. Where is the best hamburger in Amarillo? Please tell me, what is your favorite place to get a hamburger? I'm willing to give all suggestions a try.

7 comments:

  1. It's been a few years since I was up there, Joe, but the Fat Cat on Hardin Drive and Coyote Bluff on South Grand should do ya all right.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Although I've never actually eaten there, from what I've heard Arnold Burgers on Washington may be just the kind of joint you're looking for. Here's a testimonial from someone from Waco:

    http://boards.epicurious.com/thread.jspa?threadID=224403&tstart=0

    You can check out their website, too:

    http://www.arnoldburgers.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Understand that this is not my favorite place, but if you are sincere in your desire for a fatburger, many people like Arnold's on Washington between I-40 and 10th. Arnold burgers make BK's Quad look wimpy and very well may kill you.

    BTW, Drinking Liberally will be tomorrow (Friday) night at Burberry's (715 S Polk St) at 6:30 pm.

    Hope to see you there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Coyote Bluff is a better choice if you want a good burger. I was pointing the direction toward the most fat. Arnold Burgers are disgusting, sloppy masses of excessive "meat" placed between two wet, spongy buns. Most of the time, the lower bun reaches its saturation, and grease dribbles onto your hands. I'd advise that you bring some sort of a bucket, extra napkins and a defibrillator.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for responding guys. I'll give all these places a try.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Coyote Bluff is hands-down the best. And spacedark wasn't engaging in humorous exaggeration when he described Arnold Family Burger. I used to eat there some in my younger (and fatter) days and somehow managed to escape permanent cardiovascular damage.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Try Boondocks on 10Th....greasy but good!

    ReplyDelete

ANONYMOUS COMMENTS WILL NOT BE PUBLISHED. And neither will racist,homophobic, or misogynistic comments. I do not mind if you disagree, but make your case in a decent manner.