Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Thank You Mikal Watts !


Yesterday, Democratic candidate for U.S. Senate Mikal Watts withdrew from the race for the Democratic nomination. He said, "After spending the last several months putting everything into this campaign, I have seen the toll this effort has taken on my children. For these reasons, my wife and I have made the decision that I will not be seeking the Democratic nomination for the United States Senate in 2008."

Whatever his reasons for withdrawing (and I have no reason not to believe what he said), he has done Texas Democrats a huge favor. Although I am a supporter of Rick Noriega, I admit that Watts was a formidable opponent. Had he decided to go all out, Texas Democrats could have wound up with a candidate bruised and drained of resources after a tough primary fight.

Now that will not happen. Barring some unforseen occurrence, Rick Noriega will be the Democratic candidate. He can now spend the money he raises fighting against "Box Turtle" John Cornyn, and not another Democrat. This increases his chances of getting elected.

Thank you Mikal Watts. Although you will not be the senate candidate, you have earned yourself a lot of respect and good will among Democrats.

I had already cast my lot with Rick Noriega for this campaign, and I would not have supported or donated to Watt's campaign. But should he run for office in the future, I would have to give him serious consideration.

No comments:

Post a Comment

ANONYMOUS COMMENTS WILL NOT BE PUBLISHED. And neither will racist,homophobic, or misogynistic comments. I do not mind if you disagree, but make your case in a decent manner.