Monday, July 13, 2009

Arturo Gatti Is Murdered


This is a sad story for me, because Arturo Gatti was one of my favorite fighters. Gatti was found dead in a Brazilian hotel, where he had been vacationing with his 23 year-old wife, Amanda Carina Barbosa Rodrigues. Gatti had strangulation marks, and his wife is being held as a suspect because of inconsistencies in the story she told police.

Gatti was born in Italy, but left Italy for Canada at an early age, and grew up in Montreal. He moved back to Canada after retiring in 2007. During his career, he held the IBF super-featherweight, the WBC light-welterweight, and the WBC junior-welterweight crowns.

Gatti was a good fighter with a lot of heart. I'm an older guy who's seen lots of fights in my lifetime, but I have no doubt that the best three fights I've ever seen were the three fights Arturo Gatti had with "Irish" Micky Ward. Ward won the first, and Gatti the final two. But after those fights I loved both fighters, because both gave it everything they had in every minute of all three fights.

Rest easy now, Arturo. You are remembered fondly by many.

No comments:

Post a Comment

ANONYMOUS COMMENTS WILL NOT BE PUBLISHED. And neither will racist,homophobic, or misogynistic comments. I do not mind if you disagree, but make your case in a decent manner.