Thursday, July 16, 2009

Some Very Expensive Cigarettes

As a smoker, I'm well aware of complaints about how expensive cigarettes have become. I have even complained about it myself (thank you, Democrats -- you self-righteous jerks). But this has to be the most expensive pack of cigarettes on record.

Josh Muszynski needed a pack of cigarettes, so he went down to his local convience store/gas station. He got the cigarettes and paid for them with a swipe of his debit card. A few hours later he checked his bank account, expecting to see a balance of a couple hundred dollars. That was when he received the shock of his life.

Mr. Muszynski wasn't just overdrawn on his account -- he was overdrawn by more than $23 quadrillion. He had been charged $23,148,855,308,184,500.00 for the pack of cigarettes (plus a $15 overdraft fee from the bank).

Muszynski said, "I thought somebody had bought Europe with my credit card. It is a lot of money in the negative. Something I could never, ever, afford to pay back. My children could not afford it, grandchildren, nothing like that."

He went back to the store, but they told him there was nothing they could do about it. He then called the Bank of America and spent two hours on the phone arguing with them. They finally fixed the problem, and erased the overdraft charge also.

I can see why he thought someone had used his card to purchase Europe. The amount he was charged for the cigarettes is thousands of times the total national debt of the United States.

I have to wonder though, how did the bank approve such a transaction as this?

No comments:

Post a Comment

ANONYMOUS COMMENTS WILL NOT BE PUBLISHED. And neither will racist,homophobic, or misogynistic comments. I do not mind if you disagree, but make your case in a decent manner.