Wednesday, August 05, 2009

"Cops" TV Show To Film In Amarillo

The TV show "Cops" has been on the air since 1989. It is not a scripted series. Instead, the show sends camera crews out with police officers as they do their job to film whatever happens. And this usually results in compelling television viewing. You get to see the action without any narration.

The show has filmed police activity at departments across the nation. Now they are coming to Amarillo to film some shows. According to the Amarillo Globe News, "Two film crews will begin riding with Amarillo police tonight and for the next eight weeks to film upcoming episodes. Crews will hop a ride on the 6 p.m. to 4 a.m. shift and the 10 p.m. to 8 a.m. shift. The broadcast dates have not been determined."

Until I retired at the end of June, I was a juvenile parole officer here in Amarillo. In that job, I have dealt with the Amarillo Police Department many times. Whether it was the dispatchers, the records division, the school officers, juvenile detectives, adult detectives, major case squad, or the patrol officers, I found them to be both competent and professional.

I have been in some form of criminal justice since 1976, and I have dealt with police departments across the state. Not all of them were competent, and some were downright scary. But the easiest department to work with, and the most professional department I've worked with, was right here in Amarillo. They have great leadership, excellent training and a professional pride in doing the job the right way.

In some cities, a parole officer has to worry about calling a police officer as a witness. Did they read the subject his rights, or screw the case up in some other way? Would they contradict each other in their testimony? I never had to worry about that kind of thing after coming to Amarillo. Amarillo officers made great witnesses, because they knew their job and did it the right way.

I'm looking forward to watching the "Cops" program in Amarillo, because I'll probably see some friends and acquaintances showing us all how police work should be done.

I urge all Amarillo residents to watch. I think you'll be proud of what you see.

1 comment:

  1. I was witness to some criminal activity lastnight, called the police and ended up being filmed and interviewed by the "Cops" crew....without being informed beforehand. One of the police officers was extremely rude to me...as if he was showing off for the camera. I work for the City and am disgusted. I called the police department this morning to tell them I do not want my footage to air, yet apparently, it's going to be a big ordeal for me to get out of it.

    ReplyDelete

ANONYMOUS COMMENTS WILL NOT BE PUBLISHED. And neither will racist,homophobic, or misogynistic comments. I do not mind if you disagree, but make your case in a decent manner.