Tuesday, August 11, 2009

This Just Ain't Right


In recent years, there has been an argument among education professionals pertaining to corporal punishment of unruly students. Some people think it works, while others view it as little more than child abuse.

Many states have banned corporal punishment altogether, but the following states still allow its use -- Alabama, Arizona, Arkansas, Colorado, Florida, Georgia, Idaho, Indiana, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Mississippi, Missouri, New Mexico, North Carolina, Oklahoma, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, and Wyoming.

I really haven't made my mind up on the issue. When I was in school, corporal punishment was used and I know the fear of it prevented some kids from misbehaving. I also believe it has been misused. There are valid arguments on both sides. But that is with normal kids.

I am really shocked to learn that disabled kids are being paddled or physically punished. Not only that, but it is happening more often with disabled kids than with so-called "normal" kids.

That's what a study based on federal Department of Education data shows. Disabled kids make up 14% of the school population, but received 19% of the paddlings done to school children. One example noted was when a 6 year-old autistic boy was paddled by a 300 lb. man using a one inch thick paddle.

The child's grandmother said, “My child just lost it. It just devastated him. When a child with autism has something like that happen, they don’t forget it. It’s always fresh in their minds.”

Alice Farmer, who wrote the study, puts it this way, “Corporal punishment is just not an effective method of punishment, especially for disabled children, who may not even understand why they’re being hit." I would have to agree.

Corporal punishment can be debated for normal school children, but it is just beyond the pale to even consider it for disabled children. If that is the only way you know to try and control a disabled child, then you probably shouldn't be working with disable children.

1 comment:

  1. I'm not sure how effective corporal punishment was for me. I always chose swats over detention.

    ReplyDelete

ANONYMOUS COMMENTS WILL NOT BE PUBLISHED. And neither will racist,homophobic, or misogynistic comments. I do not mind if you disagree, but make your case in a decent manner.