Sunday, November 01, 2009

Could TCU Be The Best Team In Texas ?


I guess it's time for a little "purple love". Although I now live in the Texas Panhandle, I was a Tarrant County resident for over 20 years. So it's only natural for me to follow the sports exploits of that county's largest university -- Texas Christian University (TCU).

I'm old enough to remember when TCU had the longest losing streak in the nation among major colleges. I think it was more than 80 games. Do you know how many years it takes to create an 80 game losing streak? Suffice it to say, there were a lot of very lean years. But those days are long gone.

For several years now, TCU has earned its way into the top 20 teams in the nation. Currently they are ranked #6 by the BCS. They were #8 until they took BYU to the woodshed and spanked them properly last week (remember that BYU beat Oklahoma this year, and Oklahoma was only a 3-point loser to #3 Texas). After beating BYU 38-7 last week, TCU gave UNLV a 41-0 drubbing this week.

Unless they fall asleep and underestimate someone, there is a very good chance that TCU will finish this season undefeated, and I seriously doubt that Coach Patterson will allow the team to overlook anyone. The only team left that really has a chance to beat them is Utah, and Utah is not nearly as strong as they were last year. It should still be a great game to watch.

Frankly, TCU is a very good and well-balanced team. They have an excellent defense and an equally good offense. The special teams play well, and they are well coached. They may not have as many superstar players as some other teams have, but they make up for it by playing together as a team.

There have even been some Fort Worth sports columnists calling for a Texas-TCU game to determine the mythical "Texas championship". It won't happen, but if it did I don't know who would win it. Both are great teams with great coaching.

Could TCU actually be the best team in Texas? I don't honestly know. But I do believe they are good enough to compete with any team in the country, and I like that.

No comments:

Post a Comment

ANONYMOUS COMMENTS WILL NOT BE PUBLISHED. And neither will racist,homophobic, or misogynistic comments. I do not mind if you disagree, but make your case in a decent manner.