Thursday, January 21, 2010

'Whites Only' Basketball ? That's Stupid !


When Barack Obama was elected president of the United States, there were many people (including myself) who thought it might herald a new era of better race relations in this country. Maybe it will, but it has also had another effect. It has caused many racists to crawl out from under their rocks and once again make their slimy presence known.

In the last few years, it had become socially unacceptable to be openly racist. The racists were still there (although fewer in number) but they kept it to themselves and the few like-minded friends they had. Even racist organizations like the KKK were having trouble attracting new members.

But President Obama's election changed that. Perhaps fearing their racist beliefs were not just out of vogue but disappearing altogether, the racists have once again become public and very vocal. And they have found a comfortable home in the Republican Party and other anti-Democratic and anti-government groups (such as the teabaggers). These groups allow them to thinly disguise their racism as a form of rabid patriotism (which it is not).

Almost every week we see more examples of this newly public brand of obvious racism. Of course they all deny that they are being racist. To hear them tell it, they are just trying to protect some vital aspect of American society and culture, and race has nothing to do with it. But their racism is so clearly the driving force behind their actions that their denial of it just seems stupid and inane.

Consider this new and perfect example of this new public racism. There is a group now that wants to create a new professional basketball league. And one of the major rules of the new league is that all of the players must be "natural born citizens with both parents of the caucasian race" (white). Of course, the people trying to create this new league say it has nothing to do with race and they are not racists.

The league will be called the All-American Basketball Alliance (AABA) and they say they will start play next June with teams in 12 cities. The league commissioner, Don "Moose" Lewis, says he is not racist, but just wants to get away from "street ball" and get back to "fundamental basketball". He went on to say:

"There's nothing hatred about what we're doing. I don't hate anyone of color. But people of white, American-born citizens are in the minority now. Here's a league for white players to play fundamental basketball, which they like....Would you want to go to the game and worry about a player flipping you off or attacking you in the stands or grabbing their crotch? That's the culture today, and in a free country we should have the right to move ourselves in a better direction."

I am amazed at this man's stupidity. He as much as says that all the bad behavior in the NBA is by African-Americans and white boys would not act like that, and doesn't even realize that his statement itself is racist? Any rational thinker knows that neither bad nor good behavior is linked to race (which is in itself a spurious concept invented to advance colonialism and greed).

The league is based in Atlanta and is targeting cities in the Southeast to fill the 12 slots for franchises. However, they are already having trouble in one of the targeted cities -- Augusta, Georgia. The city is making it clear they want no part of the new league. Augusta Mayor Deke Copenhaver says, "As a sports enthusiast, I have always supported bringing more sporting activities to Augusta. However, in this instance I could not support in good conscience bringing in a team that did not fit with the spirit of inclusiveness that I, along with many others, have worked so hard to foster in our city."

Augusta State University athletic director Clint Bryant was even more blunt, saying, "It's so absurd it's funny, but it gives you an idea of the sickness of our society. It shows you what lengths people will go to just to be mean-spirited." Mr. Bryant is absolutely right. This sort of thing is sick and mean-spirited.

Now I don't think this new league has a chance of succeeding. Even if it does get established, it will quickly fold because most people will not support this kind of overt racism -- even in the South. The South still has its problems, but it has come a long way since the bad old days of Jim Crow.

But personally, I'm damn sick and tired of the new public racism that is rearing its ugly head in this country. Because of our country's free speech rights, these racist creeps have the right to speak their evil minds. But we also have the same right, and we have a responsibility to come down hard on this racist sickness. Racism doesn't just hurt individuals, it hurts our country as a whole.

It is time for decent people of all ethnicities and colors to rise up and let the racists know we just won't stand for it. It's both the decent and patriotic thing to do.

14 comments:

  1. oh my goddess..those people are scarry.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yessiree, these games would be clean with no fights, no cursing, none of that thuggery. Just like that other all-white sporting league -- hockey.

    - Badtux the Snarky Penguin

    ReplyDelete
  3. The NAACP is the biggest racists group in America. Blacks have Bet and other racists groups

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous-
    You obviously have been too lazy to do any research. The NAACP currently has (and has always had) many white members. In addition, BET does not discriminate against white actors.
    How many African-Americans are in your KKK chapter?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Comedy....you're in idiot Ted if you think that BET and the NAACP is really looking out for all races. And no, I don't condone all white league 'anythings', but don't believe in all black colleges, the Rooney Rule, or any of that other BS. You need proof of how Black America really thinks? Join BlackPlanet.com and see how many comments you see about all other races other than blacks. I've got friends of all races, genders, straight, gay, etc.... For you to have some pipe dream that Obama being voted in (and yes, I voted for him) would begin some national hug fest is halarious. Get your head out of the sand!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Pete-
    You raise a lot of stupid points.
    1. I never said the NAACP was trying to look out for all races. It's purpose is to promote the advancement of African-Americans to help them achieve equality.
    2. What I did say was that the NAACP and BET did not discriminate against whites, and that is true. It is also true of historically black colleges.
    3. I am not familiar with the site BlackPlanet, but I doubt that it's commenters represent all African-American's thinking anymore than your comment represents the thinking of all whites.
    4. This "national hug fest" is totally your invention. I just said I'd hoped for "better race relations".
    5. As for comedy, have you ever thought of making use of Spell Check?

    ReplyDelete
  7. “There's nothing hatred about what we're doing. I don't hate anyone of color. But people of white, American-born citizens are in the minority now.”
    We, the unfortunate, white, American-born are minorities now; people should feel sorry for us. After all, it was the European settlers that started this great nation.
    What a crock of crap. What about the Native Americans we took advantage of? Where is their sympathy? Where is their basketball league? Shouldn’t each race get their own league? Let’s just segregate our nation up into different sections for different races. Why stop there? Italian-Americans and French-Americans should not have to put up with each other; neither should the Japanese-Americans and Korean-Americans. Maybe, we should all just “go back to where we came from.”
    We live in a pretty good nation, but we do have our problems. I think this clown has the right to say the things he says; it’s called freedom of speech. We all have a right to voice our opinions for or against him. I do think it is sad that Mr. McLaughlin feels the need to use this as an opportunity to try to push other agendas. I do not see the tea baggers as a bunch of racists. I don’t care much for it, but it is a group of people who feel that we have swayed from our fundamental ideals. I do consider my self to be conservative, and as such I must also be “stupid” in the eyes of Mr. McLaughlin (this seems to be the prevailing response to anyone who’s opinion differs from yours). I do not believe that a difference in ones ideals is a show of intelligence. I do believe that racist people feel more comfortable among conservatives (racism is not a belief that is open to drastic change), just as drug users feel more comfortable among liberals. This does not mean that the Republican Party is racist and the Democratic Party is a bunch of pot-heads. I do not like Obama as a president, but I would never say he is stupid. He is a very intelligent man, as was Clinton (another president I did not care for). I guess I am getting a little off point; to take this racist crap and turn it into political party bashing and religion bashing is something I find shameful.

    ReplyDelete
  8. If you teabaggers don't want to be associated with the racists (who I do indeed consider stupid), then you need to kick them out of the movement and publicly let them know they are not welcome. Until then, you'll be judged by the people you associate with.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Again, I am not a tea bagger. I do not care much for the movement, as stated earlier, but I do think it is foolish to judge the group by the ideals that some of its members hold that are irrelevant to the intention of the movement. Why stop at kicking out anyone found to be racist from their group? They should give the boot to anyone that is an alcoholic, has a gambling addiction, has ever broken the law (including traffic violations), or have any other flaws. There would not be much of movement left then. My points were:
    1. You use the word stupid out of context. Not everyone that does something wrong is stupid. For example, Adolf Hitler was evil, twisted, sadistic, misguided, self-destructive, and many other negative adjectives would apply; but it would actually take a pretty brilliant man to get so many people to give their lives to follow such a twisted dream.
    2. You really need to stick to the point of your article. I don’t think that this guy that is trying to start an all white basketball league is being backed by the Republican Party, tea baggers, or any religious groups. So, I repeat: to take this racist crap and turn it into political party bashing and religion bashing is something I find shameful!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You've slammed the teabaggers worse than I did. Are they really all either racists, alcoholics, gamblers or criminals?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Again, Mr. McLaughlin, point missed. The idea I was getting at is that the group should not waste its time trying to filter people out by character flaws that are irrelevant to their cause. I don’t know about you, but I fall short of the criteria that I listed. I have gotten speeding tickets before; and have, on occasion, used foul language (other flaws). I should never be allowed to join any group, because I could tarnish their reputation.

    ReplyDelete
  12. If you want to accept and hang around with racists, then do so. But that's where I draw the line. And I don't have to disassociate myself from people with flaws to do that. Racism persists because people don't speak up and oppose it - they let it exist. I refuse to do that, and I don't really care what you think about that.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Again, Mr. McLaughlin, point missed. I have made no claims to want to accept and hang around with racists, nor have I supported any such idea. Since you now appear to be trying to make me out to either be racist, or someone that supports racism, I will let you in on a little something. I am in an interracial marriage (for over 22 years) and have two children of mixed race. I do not condone or support racism. I am merely stating that it is ridiculous to think that some organization should be held responsible for the fact that a racist joined their group. If I meet a racist man, and find out that he works for IBM or GE, I am not going to jump to the conclusion that everyone that works in that company, deals with that company, or owns any products from that company, is either racist or a supporter of racism. I think the problem is that you are trying to champion a cause that you don’t seem to fully understand. It must be difficult to fight racism when you are so quick to pre-judge and stereotype (the tea baggers and republicans are racist). Standards are so important to you that you keep two of them.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Like it or not, you are judged by the company you keep. Lie down with dogs and get up with fleas. Join a group that accepts racists, and some of the stink will naturally rub off on you.
    Do I think teabaggers and Republicans are racist? I thnk both have appealed to the tendencies of racists and accepted them into their organizations.

    ReplyDelete

ANONYMOUS COMMENTS WILL NOT BE PUBLISHED. And neither will racist,homophobic, or misogynistic comments. I do not mind if you disagree, but make your case in a decent manner.