Thursday, March 18, 2010

All Right - I'm On Board


If you've been reading this blog for long, then you know I am not real happy with health care reform as it is developing in the Congress right now. I truly believe the United States should adopt a government-run single-payer universal health insurance system that pays independent doctors and hospitals for the care they give American citizens (and every citizen should have the right to choose his/her own doctor and hospital).

At the very least, there should be an option for public insurance coverage for any American that wants it (and I would choose it over private insurance in a heartbeat). The public insurance would cut the profit motive out of health insurance, and because it would be available for less money, it would tend to drive down the cost of private insurance policies as well. But that's probably not going to happen right now.

I still hope the House will include a private insurance option in the reconciliation bill, but I will now support the bill whether it does or not. Why have I changed my mind? Well, there are two main reasons. I think The Rude Pundit put the first reason well when he said:

"But beyond the notions that, yes, eventually, and not fast enough, tens of millions of people will have insurance that they didn't before, and, yes, eventually, and not fast enough, the rules of business for health insurance companies will change for the better, there's this: Democrats are voting to demonstrate that the very concept of health care reform can be voted on. Let it go this time, and you're saying that it's radioactive. No one will touch it.

See, once you show that it's okay to do something like this, you can do it again, not only with health care, but with jobs and the environment and immigration and more."

It seems like many people, congressmen included, seem to think that health care reform is like a "third rail" of politics -- something that can't be fixed. This isn't the complete reform that is needed, but if it can be passed it could encourage politicians in the near future to go further and do more. It could be the first step toward a public option, and then single-payer.

And as TRP said, it could enhance the passage of other badly needed bills such as revamping our financial system, fighting global climate change and reforming our immigration laws. In other words, a success with health care could give the Democrats some badly needed political courage (translation: a spine and some balls).

The second reason I'm now willing to support the Senate bill with House amendments is because Rep. Dennis Kucinich is now willing to support it. I have an immense amount of respect for Kucinich. He has been fighting for real health care reform in the form of a single-payer system for many years now. Kucinich says:

"I have doubts about the bill. I do not think it a step towards anything I supported in the past. This is not the bill I wanted to support, even as I continued efforts until the last minute to try to modify the bill. However, after careful discussions with President Obama, Speaker Pelosi, my wife Elizabeth, and close friends, I’ve decided to cast a vote in favor of the legislation. If my vote is to be counted, let it count now for passage of the bill — hopefully in the direction of comprehensive health care reform.

“We have to look at what’s going on in this country. One of the things that’s bothered me is the attempt to delegitimize his presidency. That hurts the nation, when that happens. He was elected. Even though I’ve had some serious differences of opinion with the administration, this is a defining moment for whether or not we’ll have any opportunity to move off of square one on the issue of health care.”

Kucinich (pictured) is absolutely right. This bill is not perfect -- far from it. But it is a first step, and we must take that first step now, even if it is a small step toward what is really needed. A destination cannot be reached until the journey is started and no journey is started until the first step is taken. I just hope this is viewed as the first step -- not the final step.

I also agree with Rep. Kucinich about President Obama. I have also disagreed with Obama on some things, and I probably will in the future. But the only other choice is a return to Republican rule, and there is no doubt in my mind that would be a disaster for America. We must do what we can to see the Obama presidency is a success.

In the final analysis, if Kucinich can hold his nose and vote for this reform package, then I can support it also. We must start somewhere.

3 comments:

  1. henry_finkel3/18/2010 9:06 AM

    "...the United States should adopt a government-run single-payer universal health insurance system..."

    Why is this the ultimate solution? Other countries like France and Germany have a combination of private and public payers and their systems function, by some measures, better than the Canadian system.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wanted to tell him 'Yea? well fuck you very much.' dumb shit..
    guess what? I got elected to be a delegate for the mclennan county democratic party convention..im making a yellowdoggranny tshirt to wear.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Question: Why is this [single payer] the ultimate solution?

    Answer: 'Yea? well fuck you very much.' dumb shit..

    Well, I guess that settles it once and for all.

    I mean, really - how can one argue with such impeccable logic?

    ReplyDelete

ANONYMOUS COMMENTS WILL NOT BE PUBLISHED. And neither will racist,homophobic, or misogynistic comments. I do not mind if you disagree, but make your case in a decent manner.