Monday, August 30, 2010

Emmy Awards Makes Some Good Choices


Normally after an Emmy Awards show I am kind of disgusted and left wondering just what the hell were the voters thinking. Surprisingly, I find myself in complete agreement with many of this year's winners. It's got me kind of worried. Is the world coming to an end? [:-)]

Seriously, I was ecstatic to learn that Kyra Sedgewick (pictured) had won the award for Best Actress In A Drama Series for her portrayal of a Deputy Police Chief in charge of the major crimes squad in The Closer. The series is fun to watch and Ms. Sedgewick's performances each week have created a flawed, but brilliant and believable character.

It was also gratifying to see that Al Pacino and Claire Danes won for Best Actor And Actress In A Movie/Miniseries. Both played interesting real-life people and did it brilliantly. Pacino won for his portrayal of Jack Kervorkian in You Don't Know Jack, and Danes won for her portrayal of Temple Grandin in Temple Grandin.

And my favorite comedy and drama series both won awards. Jim Parsons won the award for Best Actor In A Comedy Series. He plays a nutty but brilliant nerd in The Big Bang Theory. Steve Shill won the award for Best Directing In A Drama Series for his work on Dexter.

Two other awards also made me very happy. Jon Stewart's The Daily Show won again for Best Variety Music Or Comedy Series, and the marvelously entertaining Top Chef won for Best Reality Series.

I congratulate all of last night's winners -- but especially those mentioned above, because they've provided me with many hours of pleasurable TV viewing.

2 comments:

  1. I wanted Dexter to win more awards..i think last season was incredible..

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree. It was probably the best season yet.

    ReplyDelete

ANONYMOUS COMMENTS WILL NOT BE PUBLISHED. And neither will racist,homophobic, or misogynistic comments. I do not mind if you disagree, but make your case in a decent manner.