Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Can A Cupcake Really Be Gay ?


I've discovered a fairly new blog that it took me a very short time to become a fan of -- My Name Is Jujube.   This lady's blog was just born last May, but I like the way she writes and I think she'll be very successful.   She has a nice way of attacking the ridiculous and her post last Monday was about a baker who refused to cook "gay cupcakes".   I was going to do my own take on the story, but then I realized that I couldn't do it any better than Jujube did.   So I present her words here for your enjoyment:

"So, Just Cookies bakery in Indianapolis, Indiana received an order for rainbow cupcakes for National Coming Out Day. The owner of the baker refused, to fill the order, claiming that he had two impressionable young daughters and thought it would be best to decline. Now, mind you, there was no message on the cupcakes. The only request was the the cupcakes be multicolored, to represent diversity. But apparently, rainbow cupcakes are too "gay" for this bakery. The owner made a comment about his bakery being "family owned" and it being a matter of "values".

Ummmm.... I am not even going to comment on the idiocy that equates RAINBOW colored cupcakes with a lack of family values. Not only do I think it is ridiculous for this man to believe that he can shield his children from the truth that there ARE homosexuals living in this world, but I have to wonder WHY his children would even need to know that these cupcakes are a "gay rainbow" instead of just an ordinary every day rainbow, IF he is that opposed to homosexuality. 

Does he not allow his children to order rainbow sprinkles at the ice cream shop, for fear he may be encouraging them to develop homosexual tendencies? Does he shield their eyes after every rain storm because they might, God forbid, see a RAINBOW??

I have to laugh at this mentality. This had nothing to do with the design of the cupcakes. If the same organization had come in and ordered plain chocolate cupcakes, this man would have had some other excuse to not allow their order to go through. He simply DOES NOT like the idea of a group SUPPORTING diversity and ACCEPTING homosexuality, so he used the excuse. Plain and simple. 

I am sure if this man was approached with an order for the SAME EXACT CUPCAKES from a group proclaiming to be from a local church, he would have gladly filled them, and never worried for a second that his children may get the wrong message FROM A CUPCAKE DESIGN!!"

No comments:

Post a Comment

ANONYMOUS COMMENTS WILL NOT BE PUBLISHED. And neither will racist,homophobic, or misogynistic comments. I do not mind if you disagree, but make your case in a decent manner.