Thursday, October 28, 2010

An Invitation But Not An Honor


Let me make this clear.   I have never voted for a Republican candidate in my entire life -- not on the federal, state or local level.   In fact, when I die I would be proud to have it chiseled on my headstone that I never voted Republican.   I have also never given money to a Republican candidate or the Republican Party.

I have such a dislike for Republicans that when I voted this year (and I have already taken advantage of early voting), I did not vote in several local races because a Republican was running unopposed.   And anyone who has read this blog knows that I seldom (if ever) have anything good to say about Republicans (with the exception of Abraham Lincoln and Teddy Roosevelt) or the Republican Party.

Personally, I believe modern Republicans have done more damage to this country than any foreign adversary could dream of doing (including al-Queda and the Taliban).   So you can imagine my surprise when I got the following invitation:



Please Join VictoryTexas for an Election Night Watch Party!
VictoryTexas 2010 and the Republican Party of Texas invite you to join us for an election night watch party for all our statewide Republican candidates on the ballot.
Honored guests will include:
  • Governor Rick Perry
  • Lt. Governor David Dewhurst
  • Attorney General Greg Abbott
  • Comptroller Susan Combs
  • Agriculture Commissioner Todd Staples
  • Land Commissioner Jerry Patterson
  • Railroad Commissioner candidate David Porter
  • U.S. Congressman Michael McCaul




                                                      Tuesday, November 2

7:00 p.m. – Midnight

Exotic Game Ranchin Buda [website | map]
3016 F.M. 1327
Brad Dunn and Ellis County
will provide music entertainment throughout the evening



I am on the mailing list of the state Republican Party, so I can blog about any nutty stuff they try to do.   I guess that's all it takes to get an invitation.   I don't think I'll be going to that little get-together (and probably couldn't afford it anyway).   Fortunately, I had already gotten an invitation to the Amarillo Democrats victory party (and if I go anywhere on election night, it will be there).

5 comments:

  1. "Amarillo Democrats victory party"?

    Isn't that an oxymoron? When was the last time a Democrat won anything in Amarillo?

    (Sorry, Ted. I just had to rub it in a little. All in good fun!)

    P.S. I've voted for a grand total of three Democrats in my life. Does that make me more broad-minded than you? =)

    P.P.S. I once got a mailing from Al Gore that included a bookmark listing the major "lies" of the GOP. Go figure! (BTW, I've still got the bookmark around somewhere; I hardly ever throw anything away!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll bet those three Democrats were the bluest of blue dogs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Actually, no.

    1) George McGovern for President, 1972;
    2) Jimmy Carter for President, 1976; and
    3) Elaine King-Miller for State Senator, 2004.

    In the case of 1) and 2), you can chalk it up to "youthful indiscretion" (I was 22 and 26, respectively).

    In the case of 3), I personally knew Dr. King-Miller, and although I didn't agree with her politics, found her to be an incredibly intelligent and decent human being.

    Of course, the fact that she didn't stand a chance of beating Kel Seliger (the Republican in the race) may have played a role in my decision, too. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I entertain the exact opposite sentiment as you. I will never vote for a Democrat. They are the scourge of the earth.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Osama bin Laden was the scourge of the earth. Democrats are merely misguided, for the most part.

    ReplyDelete

ANONYMOUS COMMENTS WILL NOT BE PUBLISHED. And neither will racist,homophobic, or misogynistic comments. I do not mind if you disagree, but make your case in a decent manner.