Thursday, February 10, 2011

Another Republican Scandal

The new Congress has only been sworn in for about a month and they already have two sex scandals among Republicans. It makes me wonder if they're going to go for some kind of record. If so, they are well on their way.

A few days ago we learned that the new Speaker of the House, John Boehner, has trouble keeping his zipper closed. It is reported that although married, he has had at least two girlfriends -- one of them a paid lobbyist (calling into questions any decisions he makes as Speaker). But before that little Republican sex scandal can even get going good, another Republican House member gets caught in his own little scandal.

The second congressman is Rep. Christopher Lee (R-New York). Although married, he is responding to a CraigsList ad with his own picture with his shirt off (see above). He responded to a woman who wrote on the website "Will someone prove to me not all CL men look like toads?" Lee sent her his picture and several other e-mails, which she promptly made public.

At least Boehner tried to keep his little peccadillos secret -- he didn't respond to someone advertising on a popular nationwide website. I have to wonder about the intelligence (and moral) level of Rep. Lee. In his defense, at least he didn't try to lie about the incident like many congressmen in the past. And he promptly resigned from his post in a public apology in the House.

Lee said, "It has been a tremendous honor to serve the people of Western New York. I regret the harm that my actions have caused my family, my staff and my constituents. I deeply and sincerely apologize to them all. I have made profound mistakes and I promise to work as hard as I can to seek their forgiveness. The challenges we face in Western New York and across the country are too serious for me to allow this distraction to continue, and so I am announcing that I have resigned my seat in Congress effective immediately."

Lee made a very stupid mistake, but at least he admitted his mistake, resigned his seat, and didn't make his poor wife suffer the indignity of standing with him publicly. All congressmen who screw up (of both parties) should do the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment

ANONYMOUS COMMENTS WILL NOT BE PUBLISHED. And neither will racist,homophobic, or misogynistic comments. I do not mind if you disagree, but make your case in a decent manner.