Sunday, April 15, 2012

A Real Choice For State Party Leader

If you've read this blog for long, then you'll know that I'm not a big fan of the current state Democratic Party leadership. They have instituted policies that have resulted in the marginalization of the Democratic Party in Texas. They encourage the picking of the most conservative (blue dog) candidates possible, and then they focus all their efforts in the urban areas and South Texas. This ignores large parts of the state, and has resulted in their not being a single Democrat holding statewide office and the Republicans having large majorities in both houses of the state legislature.

The current state chairman is stepping down this year, but that doesn't mean anything will change. The chances are good that he will be replaced at the convention in June by someone already in the party leadership -- someone who will continue the failed policies of the past. We need to prevent that from happening.

Fortunately, there is a candidate for party chairman who will shake things up, and fight for Democrats statewide. It is the lady in the picture above -- Rachel Barrios-Van Os. This lady is a true progressive, who will do her best to return the party to its progressive roots and give Texas voters a real choice. If you are going to the state convention as a delegate, I urge you to seriously consider voting for Rachel Barrios-Van Os on June 9th. Here is the announcement of her candidacy:


My Fellow Democrats,
My name is Rachel Barrios-Van Os, and I'm a candidate for State Chair of the Texas Democratic Party. I am running for this office for each and every Democrat and future Democrat to come because we need real leadership and we need to start fighting to win.
It's a sad day knowing that our Democracy is on the line everyday while the Republicans are in power. We have to start fighting harder, we have to fight for our rights and as your new Chairwoman, I promise that I will fight for you.
It has been way too long since the Democrats have rallied together for a statewide victory. I believe I have the progressive vision, integrity, experience and energy that it's going to take to do just that.

I am the loving wife of three-time statewide Democratic candidate David Van Os, and a mother of four beautiful children: Jay, Kay Cee,  Leya and Maya. I have been an activist for the Democratic Party my entire voting life. In my favorite Democratic Party moment in life, I was an active volunteer that helped during the 1980's to bring Ann Richards to victory. I became a Union Member in 1980 nad have always stayed active in the labor movement. I was campaign manager and treasurer for David Van Os, twice for Texas Supreme Court (1998 and 2004), and for Attorney General (2006). I was a candidate for Bexar County Clerk (2010).

During the 2006 Attorney General run, I felt like we needed to do something different  because I didn't think that the party could help us, so I recommended to David that we go to each and every courthouse (all 254 County Courthouses) in the state of Texas and give stump speeches from the steps of the courthouse and we did it. We took the campaign to the people and I believe that 's how we should start doing things again. The people/voting citizens do not feel connected to the Democratic Party anymore and so they choose to stay home.

Well it's time to change that and I'm here to offer my leadership, I'm ready, willing and able.   

Currently, I am the administrator, bookkeeper and litigation assistant for a law firm representing labor unions and civil rights. I wear many hats, but I always make sure that the job gets done. When I'm elected to be your next State Party Chair, I will make myself available to work full-time in the office of the Texas Democratic Party. I'm ready to start the job as your next State Party Chair immediately.

Regarding the state of the Party, I believe that something is very wrong when we cannot get one statewide candidate elected into office since 1994. Let's not wait another 18 years to start winning; let's make it happen now. I'm ready to take on that challenge.

I want a party of inclusiveness, I want a party that has its doors open to the public and to any citizen who wants to help fight for the good cause of Democracy. I want a party that says,yes, we can win and yes, we will win!

I believe that anything is possible once you put your mind to it, but most especially, even more so if you put your heart and soul into the things that you believe in and care about. I care about people from all walks of life and I care from my heart about the ideals of a true Democracy for all the People.

If you believe as I do, please join me 
in helping to fight this fight. I need your vote and support to make this happen.

I look forward to seeing you all at the 2012 State Convention. The convention runs from June 7 through June 9 2012 and is being held in Houston, Texas. The convention starts its official business on Friday morning; I look forward to seeing you there. On Saturday, June 9, 2012 the official election day of state party officers will take place. I hope you'll join me on this day and help make it a new day for all Democrats and a new day for a real Democracy.
When I'm elected as your new State Party Chair, I'll make sure that there will be no Democrat left behind.
 
Together, we will win! 
Juntos, vamos a ganar!
In Unity,


Rachel Barrios-Van Os

512-454-VOTE (8683)
VoteForRachel@the2012convention.com
http://the2012convention.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

ANONYMOUS COMMENTS WILL NOT BE PUBLISHED. And neither will racist,homophobic, or misogynistic comments. I do not mind if you disagree, but make your case in a decent manner.